New Rifle choices.......your opinions appreciated

Radiater

I'm going to get a new rifle. Mainly it will be used to target shoot and will double as a back up on hunting trips for deer, bear, antelope, etc. I've started to do a lot of position shooting with a sling out to 250 yds so I dry fire practice a lot too.

Here is what I've narrowed my favorites down to at this point...

Blaser r8 either 308 Win or 6.5 x 55 Swede

Sako 85 Stainless Hunter 260 Rem or 6.5 x 55 Swede

Len Backus Custom 260 Rem or 6.5 x 55 Swede.

I realize Len owns this forum. We talked on the phone and I explained that I was not really after a long range bench type rifle but a sporter. Len was really easy to talk with and seemed to listen very carefully which I appreciated.

i admit that I really don't know much about Len's rifles. However if anyone has anything to tell me that is not positive please email me....

b s k i n n 24 @ y a h o o . c o m

Budget is about 4k or less.

Each rifle intrigues me for different reasons. I have not shot a Blaser but I am intrigued by its design, accuracy and portability while not looking like I have a rifle. Also the straight pull bolt should make keeping the cheek weld on the stock while cycling another round.

Sako is a beauty and I have a 75 Stainless in 270 Win already.

The Len Backus rifle is obviously going to be the best of the three but is also the most expensive but I love a good custom.

I want a rifle with a slick action, more vertical palm swell/grip and very accurate.

I want input from you guys on the choices. I am not opposed to other rifle brand suggestions but I have looked at the offerings of most manufacturers to this point and these are the three I like best so far.

I would love to add a Blaser R8 to my collection.

I've seen one at one of my LGS but I've never touched it.

Might wind up above your budget.

Define the purpose and I would choose:

• Pure hunting - Sako
  • Hunting+accuracy/precision shooting - Len custom
  • Hunting+cool+collecting - Blaser R8

I have zero experience with any of the three rifles you mention, so I will only comment on the chambering. Unless you intend to go with a short action, I would take the 6.5x55 over the .308 or .260. The Swede will outperform both the .308 and the .260 if housed in a modern action and loaded accordingly. Lapua brass for the Swede is also quite a bit less expensive than Lapua .260 brass and about the same as Lapua .308 brass.

With either the Swede or the .260, make sure the rifle you choose has an 8 or 8.5 rifling twist. An 11.25 twist or faster is also a good idea for the .308.

Either 260, or 6.5-55 will work. I'd go with one of Len's rifles. Especially in the swede, they're out there, but not always the one you want when you want it.

I have both blaser two of them and two sako 85 hunters and a custom rifle the blasers shot better then the rest and in three different cal. 22-250 7mm mag and 300 weatherby all with one gun
I would buy blaser.

Thank you for the responses.

Seems most Blaser owners are pleased with their choice and I've not heard any complain about their accuracy and precision. In fact most brag about the rifles accuracy. That is pretty impressive for a factory rifle.

When you get into the 4k range that opens up the custom option. It is just hard to part with that kind of money for a rifle that is not custom.

Nearly all of my hunting and shooting is under 300 yds, while I would like to shoot longer distances it is just not a reality for me 99% of the time.

Nearly all of my hunting and shooting is under 300 yds, while I would like to shoot longer distances it is just not a reality for me 99% of the time.

Factory Savage LRH or Remmy or just about any factory gun under $1000 will do that job just as well as any $4,000 gun... gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.