New rifle build picked up ...

FEENIX

It's nothing special but here are the specs ...

- Big Horn Arms LA SR2 action with 20 MOA rail
- 27" Lilja SS 1:9" Sendero contour 3-groove
- Chambered in .30 Lara (thanks to Dave Manson :cool:) .30/8MM Rem Mag improved – 37.5 shoulder angle)
- XLR element chassis stock with folding adapter and tac lite buttstock and 5-round magazine (3.850" COAL)
- Timney Calvin Elite trigger (currently set at 8 ozs)
- Gunsmith: Dave Young (Young's Gunsmithing)

NOTE: With John Whidden's hydraulic forming die, I should be able to (I hope :D) pre-form the following brass sources; (1) 8MM Rem Mag, (2) 7 STW, (3) .375 H&H, (4) .300 H&H, (5) .416 Rem Mag, and (6) .358 STA. In addition, shoot a factory loaded .300 WBTY ammo in a pinch.

03091612211_zpsei9vyzlt.jpg

Pre-formed .300 H&H

0403160450a1_zpsbv8anpt6.jpg

Pre-formed 8MM Rem Mag

The sizing die will further shape the false shoulder angle.

I picked it up from my gunsmith not bedded Sunday. He felt that the folding adapter has too much slop that bedding it is not worth a darn and also just in case I need to return it to the source. Brought it home anyways because I wanted to shoot it to break-in the barrel and fire-form brass so I send the fired brass off the chamber to John Whidden to build the custom reloading dies for it.

I slapped on a temp scope laying around ...

1%20of%206_zpszcwph5wp.jpg
3%20of%206_zpseq6fj8uy.jpg
2%20of%206_zpsqelil8ft.jpg

4%20of%206_zpsjnulbdwf.jpg

(With Elite Iron Bravo suppressor installed.)

... so off the range I went Monday using 180g factory WBTY ammo.

5%20of%206_zps3agv2hyl.jpg

Shots were at 100 yards with bipod without rear bags or bipod buddy support. I was not expecting any accuracy whatsoever but got the above anyways ...

The break-in process I used is as follows:

(1) Push wet patch using Butch's barrel shine (BBS) through the barrel (2) Wet bronze brass with BBS and stroke 5-10 times (3) Wet patch with BBS then followed by dry until clean (4) Repeat the above for each shot for the 1st 10.

The first 10 shot is un-suppressed (muzzle thread capped). Felt recoil is not too shabby at all.

Shots 11-15 and 16-20 are shot suppressed and the break-in process is the same as above except done for every 5-shots. The suppressor is quite impressive.

IMHO, I don't think the group is too bad considering the slop on the stock and it's during barrel break in process ... and meets the guaranteed accuracy noted on the ammo box :rolleyes:.

6%20of%206_zps0l2ub83q.jpg

One of the fire-formed brass with 220 ELD-X

I got the folding adapter slop fixed. I have another box of ammo to try then back to my gunsmith for bedding this weekend.

The estimated completion for the dies is 8-10 weeks so no loaded ammo until then.

Again, nothing special but I'm excited to explore it's capabilities nonetheless.

Sorry for the long post.

Cheers!

Ed

I agree on the Interesting chamber. How fast will it drive that 220 ELD-X?

Looks great Feenix. Should be a very nice round near 300 RUM? I am currently working with a 300 Jarrett. Must be pretty close to that.

Fill us in on what the expected performance is.

Steve

Wow, good looking rifle Feenix! I don't own any chassis gun myself, but have been interested in them for a while.

Those shots 1-10 look great considering you were cleaning after each. Once you secure that stock up and start reloading, I bet this is going to be a super accurate rifle.

Interesting cartridge also. I like it's flexibility with brass selection.

Looks great Feenix. Should be a very nice round near 300 RUM? I am currently working with a 300 Jarrett. Must be pretty close to that.

Fill us in on what the expected performance is.

Steve

Steve,

That's exactly my goal; at/near .300 RUM performance.

Yep, it's similar to the .300 Jarrett.

Will do, thanks.

Ed

Last edited:
Wow, good looking rifle Feenix! I don't own any chassis gun myself, but have been interested in them for a while.

Those shots 1-10 look great considering you were cleaning after each. Once you secure that stock up and start reloading, I bet this is going to be a super accurate rifle.

Interesting cartridge also. I like it's flexibility with brass selection.

Thank you kindly! This is my 1st chassis build and really liking it so far.

Cheers!

Ed

I've built and shot a ton of 300 Weatherby/8mm/375 H&H/300 H&H Imp calibers. We use to use them for shooting rockchucks. I still have a 308 Baer, which is a 35* shoulder version, and I have 2 standard 30-8mm's but I've also built some 30-358STA's which Jarrett latter coined the 300 Jarrett. Honestly I like the standard 30-8mm the best just because you don't have to form brass. By improving them you only gain about 3.0 to 3.5grs of capacity worth about 30fps max. The lack of case stretch is nice with the sharper shoulders though.

I use to shoot a lot of R-22 through mine. 85grs of R-22 with a 150 Nosler BT use to scoot along at 3550-3650fps depending on the case and the barrel length. 89grs of R-25 with the same bullet is about the same velocity. 76grs of R-22 with a 210 Matrix runs 3100fps in my standard 30-8mm with a 27" barrel. That gun has shot a couple sub 1" groups at 550yds and has killed a few elk. I stopped shooting it, as I do with most guns after a few years when a new one gets built, but I wouldn't recommend the 210 Matrix for game. The performance is erratic. A buddy shot a bull with a 300wm using them and had one blow up in the liver. The second shot pencil holed through the lungs. I shot 2 elk with them and both pencil holed through the lungs.

Hmmm, so it's basically the same as my .300 Ackley and it's other similar variants (.308 Baer/.300 AMU/.300 Jarrett/.300 H&H Imp.) but with a slightly lesser shoulder angle (mine is 40º), but a slightly longer body & a shorter neck. You should enjoy it Ed.

I've built and shot a ton of 300 Weatherby/8mm/375 H&H/300 H&H Imp calibers. We use to use them for shooting rockchucks. I still have a 308 Baer, which is a 35* shoulder version, and I have 2 standard 30-8mm's but I've also built some 30-358STA's which Jarrett latter coined the 300 Jarrett. Honestly I like the standard 30-8mm the best just because you don't have to form brass. By improving them you only gain about 3.0 to 3.5grs of capacity worth about 30fps max. The lack of case stretch is nice with the sharper shoulders though.

I did not coin the .30 Lara but when I queried Dave Manson about the reamer he sent the blueprint to me with that cartridge name and left it as-is. :D

I hope to gain more velocity than 30 FPS max with 30. to 3.5 grains esp with 1:9" twist.

Cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.