New rifle and I need help

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by darrindlh, Feb 17, 2012.

1. darrindlh

darrindlh Well-Known Member

I am buying a new rifle and I want to know what caliber you guys sugest. I live in Idaho and my canyons can be huge. So 1000 yrds for big game is the max I will be shooting. And further on targets. My thoughts are 300 winmag or a 300rum. Both shooting the 210 or 230 bergers. What say you?

Darrin

2. bruce_ventura

bruce_ventura Well-Known Member

What big game do you plan to hunt?

3. darrindlh

Lets see, bears, mule deer, elk, moose, big horn sheep, mountain goats, antelope and finally wolves. I love my state. :D

Darrin

4. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with ether, but the 300 RUM has quite an advantage when shooting the larger
    bullets.

The 300 RUM will not leave you wanting for the long shots.Very accurate and easy to load for.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

5. grit

grit Well-Known Member

I take the Win. The RUM gives up way too much barrel life. 25% more powder, 5% more velocity. The effective difference is 125 ish yards. And we're talkin' past a mile for each of 'em.

6. kcebcj

kcebcj Well-Known Member

300 WM.....210gr Bergers

7. winmag

winmag Well-Known Member

Can't go wrong with either one.
    Good delima to be in:D

8. darrindlh

You guys are great. Thank you for the input. I am leaning towards the 300win because I can shit it right now with out a break while I save up for a break. Barrel life does not concern me because as mych practice as i'll need to make a 1000 yrd one shot kill, Ill need a new barrel at the end of the year.

Darrin

9. Hookturnr

Hookturnr Well-Known Member

I'm a 300 RUM guy too...and when you cook it you can get rebarrelled to 338 edge!