New rifle and I am torn on model: Savage 300 winmag

ogreshooter

So, my son is "inheriting" my trusty Winchester Model 70 30-06 that I have had for almost 20 years. Excellent rifle, really excellent.

Now is the time for me to upgrade, and I am torn. I am stepping up to a 300 win mag and really love Savage rifles. I have several, and all are tack drivers.

I want to shoot medium and large game (deer and elk), but have the capacity to shoot at distances of 600-800 yards and have the energy to punch through the vitals of my game. So, 300 win mag is the caliber of choice. I know there are many other options, but research has led me here. Now the tough part.

Model: 111 Long Range Hunter in 300 win mag

Model: 116 Bear Hunter

Am I giving up a lot on the caliber by shooting out of a shorter barrel? I am shaving a pound off the weight, but is that worth the loss in velocity? Or is it better, in this cartridge, to have that extra pound for recoil? It comes with muzzle break, so felt recoil should be (marginally) lower. Perhaps in realm of 30-06.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would go into scope and rail options and all that jazz, but lets be real, I am throwing a BSA Sweet 223 on it!:D
Likely will be a Sightron in the realm of 8-32x56 on Warne Base and Rings (manufactured here in Oregon, I like Oregon).

Again, I guess I am asking if 3" is worth the loss of a pound of weight. Lets face it, it is not a light rifle to begin with.
gun)

The new 11 lrh if you can find one has a 26" barrel instead of the typical 24" that most companies use including savage on most of their models.

I'm pretty sure the LRH has a 24" barrel with a 2" long brake. The brake might be nice to have. I don't know what would make the rest of the weight except maybe the adjustable comb and no barrel flutes.

For hunting I think the 116 would be nicer. In reality you would be losing an inch of barrel and the adjustable comb and gaining stainless steel, a fluted barrel, and camo stock.

I used to have a 300 win mag load that would push a 180g bullet at close to 3150fps in a 26" Laredo. My buddy was with me and his 180g 300RUM load was 3200fps on the same day with the same chrony and 25g more powder.

I ordered a 6/5x284 LRH and I should get it this week!

As per Savage Arms 111 LRH 2011 releases model has been changed accutrigger, accustock, 26" fluted .745" contour barrel with 2" adjustable brake, and karsten adjustable cheek piece. The first models had 24" barrels. I expect to see them for around 839 or so.

According to Savage, the Bear Hunter is a 21" barrel plus 2" comp, making it 23" barrel. Not exactly what I want, so I scrapped that idea and got the Long Range Hunter in 300wm.

Next: Scope, bases, rings, and load development. Might try some factory bullets and see how they shoot. Need the scope and gear first though!
gun)

for a hunting rifle 8 is a little high on the low end. and 56 is too big of an objective fro me. 6.5X20 X40 for a 1" tube; if the tube is 30mm then i would go to 50 mm on the objective.

Pretty sure Badger makes the picatinny 1 piece base. Rings: badger, TPS, Seekins, heck even the Burris Zee's if you go to a weaver 1 piece rail like the Farrel. Thing I like about the Zee's, if you pay attention and use the inserts right you can really get your scope aligned well!

Scope wise, I use an IOR 3x18-42, but they also make a 3x18-50 now too. Another Real nice brand spankin new scope is the Premier 3x15 Heritage HUNTER. For that matter Weaver makes a 3x15, and a 4x20 that are pretty decent. Hmm.... Vortex Optics are Real Good, and have customer service that rocks hard. I would not go over 20x for a hunter at all. In fact I rarely dial on 18x, even though in good light I have more than enough clarity and resolution to do so on my IOR. The IOR's have fantastic glass and coatings.

Ok there is my spiel on the ultra-loaded "Best Scope" topic :)

Gary

After mulling scope choices, I am down to 2: Zeiss 4.5-14 and a Sightron 4.5-14. After much consideration and digging through my vault, I chose that range for the best of, "OH S*&^, that deer is only 50 yards!" to "I have no justification shooting that animal at 1200 yards." Probably, for all intents and purposes, a 3-9 would suffice.

I have many Sightrons, excellent service, top quality scopes. No IOR or Zeiss yet, so I am thinking about sticking to what I know.

That said, Vortex Viper PST looks MIGHTY FINE! Still considering that.

Warne rings and base for sure. I know Warne, use their bases and rings on a lot of my rifles, built here in Oregon. I try to support as close to home as possible.

On the ZEE-Rings, how does one adjust the scope any different that other rings? I am not familiar at all. My search-fu is on hold as I am at work right now, and I have just enough time to check this and reply before returning. At least I have a job!

the zeiss or the sightron sound good ( i like 6-20 powers) but the 4 -14 is good too. we use zee rings, they have offset plastic inserts to give you your 10moa or 15 moa slant. they work real good and cheap.

Is there anyone out there who has actually shot the Bear Hunter in .338 and can comment on accurracy?

Man, it's Elite, Leopold, or Nikon here--- mostly Elite 4000 and 4200.
Burris or Leopold type rings and Weaver or Leopold bases.
My go to load for 300 win mags has been 165 hornady fb, 78 rl22 and a 215 in win brass. I've killed 20 deer with it in the last ten years. My browning stainless stalker lh has a 26 in. tube and will do 3250 to 3300 fps with with load.
My 300 Ultra BLDlh loves rl25 with 180 hornady bullets. It'll do 3280 at 93 gr rl25, and it will take 95 gr without any pressure issues. You've got to work with the big dog to get it to speed.

Is there anyone out there who has actually shot the Bear Hunter in .338 and can comment on accurracy?
Sorry, my 338 is a #1. One heck of a shooter-- 225's at 2900 fps all day (or 250's at 2700 fps) at 1/2 to 1 inch groups with a 1/4 inch as a teaser once in a while. I do think I'll have to try a Savage though. Maybee a lh in 270wsm or 300 Win.

Be leary of the LRH stock. The rubbing will peal off. I think a LRH in a B&C or some other light stock would be pretty hard to beat!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.