New Rifle and Bedding job!

Looks good jud96. What's your thoughts on the scope?

So far I love the scope. I really like the reticle. I have never used anything other than a Duplex, fine crosshairs, and the target dot in my Leupold but I really like the VMR-1 MOA reticle in the HS-T. It is not to busy and also isn't too thick. The posts are pretty thin, but not too fine and they do not disappear in low light. I looked through it at sunset and when it was getting dark yesterday, and it was really nice in the low light. The clicks are very positive and solid without any play and they are not mushy at all! It is also very heavy duty and is built very rugid with heavy duty turrets, eye piece, tube, and bell.

I have spent hours looking through my Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x40 Target scope on my .243 and this Vortex is honestly just as clear and bright as the Leupold when they're set to the same power. My Dad has a 5-20x44 Nikon Monarch on his .243 and the HS-T is a little brighter and I feel like the Vortex has more field of view and the reticle in the HS-T, to me, does not look as heavy as the Nikon's. I also looked through my buddy's Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 on his custom 6.5-284 and shot the rifle and I think the Vortex is clearer. I did not mess with the eye piece to adjust it so the Nightforce may be clearer, but I don't see it. I have also looked through a Bushnell Tactical 5-15x40, it wasn't very clear in my opinion and my cousin paid the same for it as I did the HS-T. All in all, I have not shot the rifle, but so far this scope is very nice and a great value, I would definitely buy another one.

Last edited:
Thanks Jud. That's the in depth review I was looking for. I really need a new scope for my rem long range. I've been bouncing back and forth between hst and the pst.

Nice job with the rifle. Real clean lines, a simple build, and practical for all types of hunting and shooting situations. I think that's why Remington's really shine. With few, minimal changes you can have a really nice shooting rifle that won't break the bank.

Thanks Jud. That's the in depth review I was looking for. I really need a new scope for my rem long range. I've been bouncing back and forth between hst and the pst.

Prior to introduction of the HS-T, I wanted the turrets of the PST but I do have a use for an illuminated reiticle. I pretty much wanted the HS-T before they even came out and the instant they hit the shelves I had to get one. I lucked out one day on a trip to Cabelas on a Memorial Day weekend and got my HS-T for $399 plus tax so it was like $425 after tax. I got it for around $150 under retail! It was brand new and it was a heck of a Memorial Day sale! I had planned on putting it on my custom .308 Norma, that my Uncle is putting together for me, but it is too tactical looking for a glossy stock and a 1917 Enfield action haha. So I still have to get a scope for it. When I purchased the scope, the Remington Long Range rifles just hit the market and I already had one of them on my "to buy list" and I knew it would be a perfect match for the Remington. The scope sat on my safe for almost a year until I got back to work over the summer and got the money for the Long Range 700.

I compared the PST and the HS-T at Cabelas, and the only difference I could see was the PST's slightly different reticle, illumination, and the 50mm end compared to the HS-T's 44mm objective. Other than that, and the price, they are the same. To me, the optics on both scopes are on par with each other. The HS-T does everything I want and need, in a crisp and rugid package.

Nice job with the rifle. Real clean lines, a simple build, and practical for all types of hunting and shooting situations. I think that's why Remington's really shine. With few, minimal changes you can have a really nice shooting rifle that won't break the bank.

Thanks 300! I am not really into the whole "tacticool rage" but I like the simple and practicality of this rifle as you noted. With this rifle, extreme elements won't be a problem with the synthetic stock, and it is not to heavy and not to light. It is a perfect match for me. When I eventually head westward, it will be nice to pack through the mountains, but still have the weight to sit in the bags and make a comfortable and clean shot. I love the looks of the DNZ one piece mount and I like how everything blends together and matches. The trigger isn't too bad, about 3lbs, but the only change I may ever make is going with an old school 700 trigger or a Timney to get down to 2-2.5lbs, which I prefer. This is my 3rd Remington and I love these rifles, all of them have worked for me and that is why all three are still in the safe! I have about $1250 in this setup and so far it has been worth every hard earned penny and if it's like the other 700s, it will be a great rifle! Thanks for all of the input guys, much appreciated!

Well I finally got a chance to shoot my .300 today and break the barrel in. I somehow misplaced a round in my shooting bag and only fired 9 shots instead of 10 :rolleyes:. I did my standard procedure of firing one or two, then thoroughly cleaning the barrel and repeating the process. I cleaned using a copper brush, Parker Hale rod, Hoppes Benchrest solvent, and ever absorbent paper towels, to dry the barrel and apply the solvent.

I only got the chance to shoot 50 yards because my range was packed with fools spraying away, and I was crunched for time. I wanted to sit up at 100yds after sighting in, but just decided to leave it at 50 since I was only breaking the barrel in and wasn't too concerned about a group. It isn't the tightest group, but for the constant stop and go with cleaning and some varying mirage, the rifle is showing promise. I just used the minimum load listed in the Nosler manual since I wasn't looking for velocity or accuracy. Also, I used 10 old 180 SMKs I found in a box downstairs, they were all blemished and dirty, but they worked and shot good.

My load:
-180gr SMKs
-69.0gr IMR 4831
-Remington LR Magnum Primers
-Winchester Military Brass
-C.O.A.L. 3.520"

IMG_20150504_193237.jpg
The far right hole was my very first shot and was 8 clicks off, not bad for bore-sighting! The next 8 rounds landed inside one ragged hole. The group measured .557", not very tight for 50 yards, but with a brand new barrel and all the variables that went in with breaking the barrel in, I don't think it's too bad. Overall pretty happy with the results and excited to report that the rifle is showing promise!

I have 20 rounds loaded up with IMR 7828 and IMR 4831 with 190 SMKs for load development, I plan on shooting them for group and measuring their velocity over Dad's chronograph I got him for Christmas. I will try to get them shot and report back to you all as quick as I can. If these two powders don't get me to at least 3050fps safely, then I will be getting some RETUMBO or H1000 to try!

Just wanted to point out that I misread my old analog calipers by .100 and double checked the group with my digital calipers. It should actually measure closer to .457 and not .557 thousandths. Sorry for the mistake. Little happier with the group now haha. Hoping it will shoot .4 MOA at 100yds with a 5 shot group now that the barrel is broke in. Looking forward to testing my loads I have worked up!

I shot some test loads over the chronograph the other day and just wanted to report my result. All loads were tested with 190 SMKs. Did not care about group size at 100 because the mirage was terrible and it was windy.

74.0gr of IMR 7828 went 2960fps and was very consistent, had no pressure signs at all but was at the low end for velocity.
76.0gr of IMR 7828 went 3040fps and had an ES of about 20fps, going to try 76.5 and 77.0gr because 76grs didn't even flatten the primer any.

71.0gr of IMR 4831 went 3020fps, this load showed no pressure so moved on too the next load.
73.0gr of IMR 4831 went a 3112fps and had an ES of 15fps. Thus load flattened the primer but there is no extractor mark and bolt lift was easy. I believe this load is right at max.

I was surprised by the IMR 4831 results. I thought it was going to be too fast burning and show pressure fast without reaching a decent MV. I am going to mess with 7828 some more. Hopefully it gets close to the full house load of IMR 4831. I feel like the slower 7828 will be easier on the throat. I am afraid that the 4831 will burn up the throat faster because it burns a lot hotter.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.