Does anybody do a Bedding job on their normal hunting rifles

Inukshuk

Inukjuak, Canadian Eastern Arctic 59 parallel
Does anybody do a Bedding job on their normal hunting rifles? I'm curious about this, since I just found out about this two weeks ago. I know that snipers and some varmint shooters all with heavey barrels do it a lot, but what about a normal hunting rifle.?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Myself and just about everyone I hang with bed receivers and float barrels on any gun we expect consistant performance out of.

But, we live in a swampy/humid area and stick to wood stocks.

Many hunting rifles will see improved accuracy with a good bedding job. A properly bedded rifle eliminates one possible cause of inaccuracy and certainly won't hurt even if there was no action fitting problem before the bedding job.

I have all of my hunting rifles bedded. However, if you are working with one of those cheap, flimsy factory plasic stocks it may not be worth the while. My smith would not bed my model 7 into the factory synthetic stock. He said the stock was as rigid as pasta. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I bought a McMillan and had him bed the barreled action into that. Rifle now shoots .5moa with preferred loads.

YES BROTHER, This will help with all the bad weather your rifles go through in the fall and spring hunts. The best for us hunters so far is the fiberglass stocks. These need to be bedded also but not as badley as the wood stocks. The fiberglass will not swell-up, like your wood stocks do now when you leave your rifle in the boat overnight. They sell cheap replacement fiberglass stocks that are better than the best wood stocks! Also the replacement stocks in fiberglass for your shotgun is another great way to go.

I bed every rifle I buy now, before I ever fire a shot. I always use Brownells steel bedding which they say is the best, and that's good enough for me. As a note for Varmint Hunter, or any other Model 7 shooters out there, I bedded a Model 7, .223 in its synthetic stock. First group (3 shot)out of the barrel was 3/8". Most run about 1/2" but very few ever run more than 3/4". Don't know how it would hold up to a heavier caliber. Would also add that I now fire lap all my factory barrels using NECO kit, also from Brownells. Makes them a lot smoother and alot easier to clean. I don't have any way of knowing what it does to throat life. Anyway, I would definitely bed the rifle at least under the recoil lug and rear tang. I would always free float the barrel except maybe the first inch or so, and I would make sure there was about a 1/16" of free float. On light barrels I definitely don't think the old 1 dollar bill thickness is enough. If you have a wood stock, be sure to seal the inside of the barrel channel really good. Actually, I usually grind it all out and fill it with a good layer of bedding compound, then resand the barrel channel out to again get it free floated. But, mutiple coats of lindseed oil followed with a couple of good layers of urathane (sp?)seems to work fine. Just be sure to leave room for the coating so you still have plenty of freefloat.

[ QUOTE ]
Does anybody do a Bedding job on their normal hunting rifles?

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything but the Mini 14. Bed the action and float the barrel and barrel break in.

4ked, You made a small mention of the mini-14...I just got one. I put a butler creek folding stock on it with a leupold VX-1 scope. It shoots o.k., maybe 2" @ 100. Do you know of anything that can be done to make it better? I don't really like the "spray" method for hitting good. Thanks.

I always bed, and free float..accraglass, or micro bed, the latter is easier to handle. this true of all my stocks, both wood( I live where good, seasoned claro walnut is affordable), and with synthetic stocks. Good luck,

I bed all my hunting rifles.Some are free floated bbls and some have a full length bedding job with pressure installed.It just depends on what the rifle likes,but all are bedded.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.