new question on mauser safeties

bubbadad

Ok ,now that I have the bolt apart,I am going to replace the safety with a boyd trigger with safety on it.can i just leave the old safety out when i put it back together?Can i just put a plug in place of old safety to cover hole? I love mauser actions,have 3 now and just learning what can be done to improve them.

Ok ,now that I have the bolt apart,I am going to replace the safety with a boyd trigger with safety on it.can i just leave the old safety out when i put it back together?Can i just put a plug in place of old safety to cover hole? I love mauser actions,have 3 now and just learning what can be done to improve them.
You can. A better choice is a Timney trigger. A better choice, yet, is a Timney w/o a safety and a Dakota bolt shroud with a 3 postion sfatey, like a Win. 70 has. (foot note; bolt shrouds know as 'commercial' are available so you don't have to plug the hole if you use a trigger with a safety, like the Timney or Bold.)

Shortgrass, I wasn't aware of the Dakota, I have used Gentry, and I think my oldest one is the NECG. Generally you have a reason for your preferences, appreciate an expanded answer if you don't mind. Thanks

So you are saying that I can just plug the hole when using the boyd side safety attached to trigger?
Yes,, that is what I am saying. I'll go on to say it looks cheesy as all git out when it's done that way. At minimum, I'd replace the military shroud with a commercial shroud if I was going to use a trigger with a safety. For HARPERC, I feel the Dakota safety just has nicer fit and finish than the others. They all get fit to a bolt in, basically, the same way, but any time I can save some time when preping for bluing, I'm all for it. If you're coating that 'nicer' finish means little.

Thanks, I don't attempt stuff like that myself, but the guys who put mine in found it challenging. Definitely not drop in. The Dakota is priced less as well. If I have a next one I'll have to try them.

You are correct, they're not "drop-in". I've developed a 'system' for installation which takes alot of the guess work out of it. When I put it on 'full safe' position. I don't want that bolt handle to able to be lifted at all. A nice tight fit. I've seen some where you could lift the bolt handle a quarter to a third of the way, it just makes my skin crawl. Kind of a 'sloppy' installation, IMO. Once its screwed up there's no fixing it without a different bolt. It goes down hill from there, quickly.

Really don't know what yer all talking about. But I've bee a Mauser action user all my life.

However I'm a real advocate for NEVER using a safety. Especially on actions where you can pull the trigger and close the bolt without cocking the firing pin. That's my safety.

Then when your ready to shoot you can lift the bolt and drop it quietly and cock it. If I'm sensing close proximity to game I'll carry it in the ready position with the bolt up but NOT cocked.

I WONT HUT WITH ANYBODY THAT PACKES A GUN LOADED AND ON SAFTEY!! NOR WITH A SEMI-AUTO RIFLE. SORRY

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.