safeties

vendetta333

ok i have a question for the smiths. first, i hate the standard remmy style 2 position safety. now the question. i am looking at a big horn action, is there anyway to "re-do" a safety? like a tang or something else? thank you

i don't like how out in the open they are. to easy to accidentally knock off. obviously one should never rely on their safety, but i would just prefer a tang safety or a winchester style. i wouldn't even mind if it were a little more low profile like a cz or tikka, but the remmy style is like a light switch!lightbulb

has anyone tried one offing a tang safety using the standard remmy trigger safety but replacing the lever with an angled one going to a tang slide?

ok i have a question for the smiths. first, i hate the standard remmy style 2 position safety. now the question. i am looking at a big horn action, is there anyway to "re-do" a safety? like a tang or something else? thank you

PT&G makes a bolt safety that locks the firing pin that can be used in conjunction with the
Rem Safety or independent of it.

You need to buy the firing pin and bolt safety together if you don't have a good smith to fit it.

J E CUSTOM

In the original post yes i was referring to a winchester style. But in the most recent post im asking.if anyone has tried to replace.the factory safety lever with one that is angled and never sticks.up out of the stock.amd instead.travels.rearward to a one offed sliding tang button? Anyone.tried.it? Was that clear enough or no?

Those "Winchester Style " conversion kits, made for the 700, won't work for a Big Horn. The bolt shroud thread on a 700 is 1/2"-13, on the Big Horn it's 1/2"-20. As for the OPs' problem with the safety lever, well, I've never heard anyone else complain about it. If there was any discussion or complaint at all, it was "trigger block safety verses firing pin block", and a "tang" style safety is a "trigger block" safety. "Has anyone tried it?",,,,,, a hobbiest might have time, but a full time 'smith,,,,,,,, no. Of course, with enough $$$$$$ (and notice I put 5 $ there) anything is possible!

i could care less about trigger vs pin block. obviously the pin block is "safer". but that is not my discrepancy. the location and tallness is what i dont like. i think a tang safety is the best place for a safety. 1. a savage style pretty much cannot get knocked off, and a shotgun style is hard pressed to either. 2. it is the fastest safety system ever (ideal for timed tac. matches, quick shots on near or running game, or dangerous game!) this is why shotguns have them. those are just my opinions, feel free to disagree. i just cant imagine it being to hard to do a tang trigger safety. albeit all completely custom proprietary parts. but simple enough in theory. thanx for the tidbit bout the winchester style conversions. i did not know that about the threads.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.