New Project Started - Which Rings and Bases

Frankie_2_Times

I've got a new project started and whated to take a poll on what rings and bases to use. I purchased a Remington 700 LSS in .300 RUM. I'm having Kirby install a holland brake, tune the trigger and pillar bed the laminate stock. I'll eventually get around to having it blue printed and perhaps a match barrel depending on how the orignal shoots. Right now I am trying to decide on what rings and bases to use. I'm thinking I'll be putting either a 3.5x10-40mm or a 4.5x14-40mm Leupold VX-III. Any suggestions on what you would use. Right now I am thinking of using Burris Signature Rings with the composite inserts. What do you think???

F2T

http://www.seekinsprecision.com/products.asp

On my GAP 308...

d.jpg

He is also making a 4-screw...Al alloy...Very tough stuff.

They might look different (as opposed to the "nutted" heavy duty rings) but they work just as well, and dont snag everything with the nut sticking out the side.

JB

I'll second jb on this one. I've got a set of his prototypes and they are very nice. I'd buy them over the Mark 4 or Badger any day.

I recently put a set of Signature rings on my Rem LSS 300RUM. I opted for the Burris double dove-tail set and it proved to be a big mistake. The rifle shoots over 2' to the right with the reticle centered in my Leupold 3.5x10x40mm. There was not enough adjustment in the scope to get the rifle to shoot to the point of aim.

I guess I could have used the Burris insert kit but it sure didn't seem like the way to go on a new rifle.

I just ordered another set of rings & bases but, this time, I ordered the "standard" set with the windage adjustable rear.

After all these years, It seems as though Remington still can not be relyed on to bore a few simple holes in line with the bore. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

If anyone is interested in a set of (almost) new Burris Signature rings and double dove-tail bases in matte finish, drop me an email.

Just my 2 cents

What rings to buy would be related to what base you get and that is related to how you want to set up the gun. A one peice base such as JB shows tends to reduce the issues associated with a bad reciever top and needing to lap the rings. A one piece base with a built in 10 or 20 MOA will reduce the likelihood of needing to get the signature inserts or shimming the base. With a goofy reciever top you may need a significant amount of shim to get to and past 1000yds with the VX-III - at least I did.

thanks a ton guys...

It all depends on how ridged you want your setup to be. Remington receivers are finished with a belt sander (not a joke) so getting a two piece base to line up perfect is near impossible. Sometimes you get lucky.

The "tactical" base and ring setup is the toughest out there. I hunt and shoot more than most and can not afford to have my rifle fail period..
Imagine being in Alaska in the bush and sighting in on a 65" bull moose. this is a few peoples dream hunt. How confident are you in your gear? Did it survive the multiple airplane rides? out of four of us last year there was only one rifle still sighted after the brutal 12 hour Argo ride into camp. It was bad enough that my Steiner binoculars look in different directions and they were in my case!

I just got my new cnc and will be making rings and bases starting monday. I would recommend a 20moa base so you dont have to worry about running out of travel and a set of low rings so you can keep your scope low to the barrel and have a good cheek weld. I have bases in stock, but just donated all of the rings i had left to a couple of prize tables.
I should have more rings in stock in a couple weeks.
Let me know if i can help you in any way !!!

Glen

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts