New pistol

T3ninja

I do quite a bit of rifle shooting, but my main sport is action pistol and 3 gun. I finally "bit the bullet" and spent some money on a custom pistol for 3 gun and uspsa. This thing is sweet.

Attachments

• IMG_3025.JPG
    IMG_3025.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_3026.JPG
    IMG_3026.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_3027.JPG
    IMG_3027.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 201
9 major. If you're unfamiliar with that, it's basically a regular 9 brass loaded to super high pressure. Just the way it works out for the points system. Velocity X bullet weight = 165,000. That's the minimum for "major" some factory guns can handle it, but most are custom builds. I'm running a 125 gr bullet with WIN autocomp. I'm running them right at 1380fps. That gives me a little room for error on the chrono, and bullet weight, if I get checked at a match.

Thanks

Awesome pistol. Why is the sight mounted like that.

Well, 2 reasons for me. Originally those sights were mounted like you'd think, upright. The problem with it being upright, it puts the optic WAY above the bore, so not only does it give you a big " zero" deviation at different distances. (we shoot anywhere from 1foot out to 40-50 yds) so you can imagine having the dot 1.5-2" above the bore vs 3/4" .. big difference. Also on the same topic of it being higher above the bore, it makes it harder (for me) to transition from shooting my daily carry pistol with iron sights, to the open pistol where I have to look 2" above the gun to find the dot. But with it being sideways it's almost at the exact same height as my iron sights on my other pistols. Muscle memory doesn't have to change.

Second thing is reliability. With an upright sight, the body of the optic sits right on top of the ejection port. So if a fired piece of brass comes out just a little less than perfect, it usually bounces back into the ejection port. Well that ruins a stage quick. With It mounted 90 derees, there's nothing in the way of the brass. The gun can eject straight up if it wants to.

Soo, who did the b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l work? Lots of thought went into it, both , I imagine, from you and the builder.
I'm curious why didn't you go with either a 10mm or the 38Super?

Soo, who did the b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l work? Lots of thought went into it, both , I imagine, from you and the builder.
I'm curious why didn't you go with either a 10mm or the 38Super?

Thanks!

It was built by Blackdog Gunworks out of Illinois. This build took him close to 7 months. Thus far I've put right around 1k rounds through it and haven't had a single hint of problem.

As for caliber, the .40/10mm just isn't really competitive. 10 mm is longer of course and I can't say I've even heard of a 10 mm open. Both 10mm/.40 have a bigger diameter piece of brass, which cuts down on how many rounds you can cram into an"legal length" magazine.

.38 super is a pretty common caliber for the races, but the brass is pretty expensive and a lot of the big matches are "lost brass" matches. Where 9mm is plentiful, I can't say I've ever bought brass for 9mm, and I have a few thousand rounds.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.