New Pistol to load for

I can tell you from experience, that factory ammo will be more reliable than reloaded ammo. I shoot weekly with very experienced and even Master reloaders. We always shoot our reloads in quite a few weapons and at some point there will be a failure with some ones gun. FTF , Smokestack, and even the occasional quiet pop which can be devastating. Point being, semi auto's tend to be finicky. In a self defense situation you want to be 100% confident in your weapon and that starts with good quality factory ammo.

Thanks HNDLDR.
that's good stuff to know.

I'll see if I have a LFCD for this gun. Can't remember if I picked one up when I got the dies.
I've always crimped my other handgun loads but they were bigger wheel guns.

Kris

Are you guys saying carry factory ammo for court room reasons? That's my plan.

I actually plan to carry this more for a side arm while packing and hiking but also the other situations where 2 legged critters are more likely to be encountered.

Kris

Kris
I reload/crimp with Sabers for practice and then use a GOOD Factory Defensive round to carry - Hornady Critical Defense, Rem Sabers.
Len

Thanks HNDLDR.
that's good stuff to know.

I'll see if I have a LFCD for this gun. Can't remember if I picked one up when I got the dies.
I've always crimped my other handgun loads but they were bigger wheel guns.

Kris
Be sure it has the carbide ring in the base. I don't know if they all do.

The nice thing about the Bulge buster set up is you can safely push loaded rounds through it. If you have loaded hand loads that are giving you problems it is real easy to run them through the bulge buster. It was eye opening to me what a difference it made.

If you look on midway and such sites you can get the Bulge Buster and the carbide factory crimp die for like $40.

Be sure it has the carbide ring in the base. I don't know if they all do.

The nice thing about the Bulge buster set up is you can safely push loaded rounds through it. If you have loaded hand loads that are giving you problems it is real easy to run them through the bulge buster. It was eye opening to me what a difference it made.

If you look on midway and such sites you can get the Bulge Buster and the carbide factory crimp die for like $40.
The "Bulge Buster" is a great asset. Started using it when I found my loads for a 40S&W failed to go to battery intermittently. Now I use it on all my autoloaders. My .45ACP loads function flawlessly in my Colt as well as my 1927 Thompson. I also recommend carbide sizers, to eliminate the case lube. I also use the Lee factory crimp dies for my hand guns.

I'm hoping to find some Hornady Critical Defense.
In a 45acp what would you carry for back country where you might need to defend against 4 legged critters.
Well I know that you are asking about the .45 ACP to carry Back Country. I would probably carry what I use for CCW, BUT I carry a S&W Model 29 & 19 when in the woods. Not my 1911s or CCW.
Woods Carry:
Model 29 - .44 Mag Winchester Platium Tip 250gr.
Model 19 - .357 Mag Federal 140gr Barnes on Rem 165gr Core-lokt Jacked HP
CCW -Carry
Several Semi Auto Pistols in 9MM Critical Duty 135 FlexLock
1911 - .45 ACP (+P) 185gr Brass Jacketed HP

Pictures of boxes of pistol cartridges- Front pictures.

Attachments

• Pistol Cartridges.jpg
    Pistol Cartridges.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 79
I use titegroup for most of my 9mm reloading and I have used it for .45 acp in the past, but I prefer to run WST in the .45 as it burns a little cleaner and I get great accuracy from it. Check out bayou bullets for range ammo, the coated lead works well.

Like Len I carry a revolver 44 mag with Hard Cast bullets.I cast my bullets.
For a 45 acp I load hard cast 230 gr bullets and use extra antimony and tin to give me 20-22 BH.With that bullet a friend killed a Montana Black bear 4 or 5 years ago with no problem and complete pass through.

I do like 1911s, one of which is a Kimber Ultra, which eats factory hardball and Hornaday CD. No problem. Sorry, no loading data, factory only.