New Personal Best.....

Dan B

Well...as of 1pm this afternoon I'm fresh outta baldy tags!! I used the first tag on a short range doe with the T/C Contender 45/70 Govt (SSK barrel). My second tag was reserved for a 400+yd shot. Here's the results of a 162gr A-Max delivered within 2" of POA at 460yds. The gun is a XP-100 with about all the tricked out goodies that Kirby (APS) could throw at it!!

Lilja barrel, Holland Lug, action and bolt trued, Sako extractor, DE brake, HS stock, chambered in 7mm/270WSM. It throws the 162AM's at 2825fps.

100_1826.jpg

With my big lug behind her she does not look too substantial in size but she was the largest of the four.

I was just sittin' along side my fire, munchin' some crackers and feelin' kinda drowsy when four deer came leggin' it across the strip cut and stopped where they apparently felt safe. I hit them with the 20X Burris spotter to check for antlers. All were bald, ranged the largest with the RX4, dropped a cartridge in the chamber, held the 3rd SU of the 3-12x32 Burris just under her heart and sent the A-Max across the valley. She was quartering too me a little farther than expected. I clipped the near-side lung, through the liver, gut and exited the front edge of the right side ham. She ran forty yards and immediately laid down. After a few minutes her head dropped for good. I watched for 20 minutes until satisfied she was done then made the trek to get her.

This is my longest deer with a handgun by nearly 100yds. It also beats my longest rifle shot by 15yds. I guess I'm down to buck hunting now.

Congrats, you have put that XP to some very good use!!!

Great shot. Not all trophies have antlers. Some of my favorite hunts have been doe hunts!!!

Again, glad the XP is working well for you and obviously your doing your job well, that is just as important as the quality of the firearm your using.

Kirby Allen(50)

Congratulations, and great shot. Did you use the bipod? How was the rear of the handgun stablized? I have several XP-100's and XP-100R's and shoot well off the bench, but find in the feild it is more difficult to find a stable position for long shots such as yours. How did you do it?

This is my longest deer with a handgun by nearly 100yds. It also beats my longest rifle shot by 15yds. I guess I'm down to buck hunting now.

I thought that looked like an awefully short rifle. Congrats and fine shooting.

Mike

Thanks guys.

Having a XP with this kind of power and accuracy makes such shots MUCH easier than conventional single shot handguns. My hats off to Kirby for making such a fine firearm. I bring her out to check zero and just such occassions...other than that I use a XP in .250 Sav AI to practice field positions. I've had it just over a year and taken nearly 10 deer with it, numerous g-hogs at moderate range and my fall turkey at 396yds!

Long450.....I shoot prone whenever possible and as often as possible. Using the bipod and rear bag makes for a super solid shooting platform. This deer was shot using a small stool under the bipod to get over the grass, my back leaning against a tree and the grip rested on a rear bag on top of my knee. Looked crazy but was solid enough for the shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.