new "old guy" from East Texas

ras

Came across this site while researching the options of converting model 70 .223wssm to more popular caliber. Life member of NRA--member of Texas State Rifle Association. Rancher. Retired banker. Hunting is primary hobby here in East Texas and on a family place in South Texas. Granddaughters (4 with one on the way) also is one of my great joys. Hunt primarily white-tail deer, feral hogs, turkey, dove, ducks and a place to take a nap. Looks like a very informative site; maybe someone can help me with my conversion question. Shoot mostly 270, 270wsm, 243, 223(bushmaster m4) 30/30, m1 30 carbine, and 22 mag in rifles. Handguns include 22, 9,45lc,45and a few others. Thanks for your time. ras

ras,

Welcome to the site. There's plenty of great info here and plenty of people willing to share it.

What exactly are you looking to do/shoot with the mod 70, do you reload, are wildcats an option. If you help us narrow things down we can better try to make sane recommendations.

Chris

Hey Chris-
Thanks for your response. I hope we can treat this issue with education. I can plead guilty to the ignorance problem. I love my 223wssm--outstanding varmint rifle;however, I am concerned about the longevity of the barrel and the availability of ammunition for a rifle no longer manufactured in that caliber.
I am thinking seriously about starting to reload--obviously another issue that would require a lot of education for a 63 year-old just starting on that adventure. My primary concerns I have already mentioned, and if I were to do a conversion of some sort, I would prefer a more common caliber. The 223wssm appears to be an "Edsel."Thanks again. ras

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.