trouttracker

Good afternoon, I am pleased to find a forum that may help with my long range shooting goals. Because of my age (62), I don't get around my favorite Idaho elk haunts like I used to. I live in mountains of south eastern Idaho and basically hunt out of my backyard, many times within sight of my home.
My rifle is a Winchester model 70 .300 Win Mag I have been working on for yrs. The phenolic stock has been changed to a laminate thumb hole, with a Limb Saver recoil pad. It has a bedded 26" 1 MOA varmint barrel mounted with Weaver bases, rings and Bushnell Elite 4000 6x24 scope. The best group I have been able to shoot is 3-4" at 300 yds with Barnes 165 gr boat tail and 72 gr of H1000. This weapon has taken elk at 625 yds, but I don't feel comfortable shooting that distance or longer with it. What can I do to tighten the group? I would guess the next step would be a aftermarket trigger.

Thanks,
Trouttracker

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.