New member with questions! !

vino

Hi all I've been lurking around for years but decided to join. From caldewell id.
I'm in the market for a new deer/elk rifle not sure what thread to post my questions in?gun)

Last edited:
welcome vino, what caliber are you now shooting. what calibers have you shot in the past. youll get lots of great opinions here. i dont want to step on anyones toes but my minimum caliber suggestion for elk is a 270. i have friends that shoot a 270wsm for dual purposes and they perform great. if you can shoot a few different calibers. one last word of advice, always spend a few more dollars on a scope than what you wanted to spend. optics nowadays are incredible. good luck friend.

Thanks for your reply.
I guess I should have said that but did not want to ask to many questions in the wrong thread or section.
I have sevral good . We'll more than several. My favorite deer elk caliber is 300.win mag. This may bring a debate but no one can change my mind about my favorite caliber. Pluss I have tons of brass and reloading equipment for it and I'm not crazy about trying to find new dies & bullets& casings in this market.
I'm looking for a good light wheight all weather gun.
One that's easy to carry.
Will shoot fast
Will shoot long way when needed.
I have 2 ruger m77 mark 2 stanless in 300win.
One has skeleton stock. I no it kicks. But I love it . (Tuff as naills)
The other is my bad weather close quarter brush gun.
Ruger m77 mark 2 stanless with houge stock iron sights. (I believe it's the Alaska modle.
Reason as I'm looking to replace is I bought them along time ago and I'm worried about the barrel. And I'm tired of the wheight.
I want a lighter gun because I'm getting old and fat.
My first choice would be a reminton 700 XCR .but it's no longer made and do not care for the new version with green stock.
Pluss all the new reminton guns I've seen have dropped in quality. Sence the merge.
And all the gun shops I visited say there the #1 sent back to factory gun out of box.
I have a tikka t3 light in 7mm-08.
It's a nice gun but do not care for the trigger or the safety or the box mag.
Not bashing the tikka. Just my opinion.
I'm looking to spend 1000. Or less.+1000 on glass.
This may not be enough but it's my budget.

Thanks guys.
And on the ruger comment I do love my rugers but I'm looking for a lighter gun. Unless the new rugers are lighter my rugers are 9lbs pluss.
That's why I bought the tikka t3 for my wife . But I like the 300 and was going to buy one in a 300win.
But after using the 7mm 08 I have found the trigger sucks. And don't like the safety and magazine that can't be loaded unless it's removed.
And my old rugers have the 3 position tang saftey.
Most of new rugers I've seen do not? But could be wrong.

well vino there are lots of great choices to choose from.winchester featherwieght, remington 700 mountain rifle, weatherby ultra light. kimber also makes a mountain rifle. i like your 300 wm as an all around cartridge. i know that some custom shops can build up a rig thats under 5 lbs.

Thanks guys.
And on the ruger comment I do love my rugers but I'm looking for a lighter gun. Unless the new rugers are lighter my rugers are 9lbs pluss.
That's why I bought the tikka t3 for my wife . But I like the 300 and was going to buy one in a 300win.
But after using the 7mm 08 I have found the trigger sucks. And don't like the safety and magazine that can't be loaded unless it's removed.
And my old rugers have the 3 position tang saftey.
Most of new rugers I've seen do not? But could be wrong.

I just bought a ruger hawkeye predator in a 6.5 Creedmoor and that has a 3 position safety. If you go an rugers website they have a hawkeye called the magnum hunter that weighs 8lbs and its muzzle braked. Then they have another hawkeye that weighs 7.75 lbs stainless with a synthetic stock. I really like my ruger. Its comfortable to sit behind and shoots lights out.

I stopped and looked at guns today. I'm in no hurry and want to buy the rite one.
Found a ruger hawkeye 300win SS with grey laminate stock.
I can probably pick up for 625$
Went to rugers Web site and do not See it listed as I was looking for wheight. Mabey it's discontinued.
Then I looked at a kimber Montana. Very nice and light.
Over twice the cost of the ruger. Has olive green stock I'm not crazy about. Is there a better looking stock?
I really like the rem Sendero and there stock. But in search of a lighter gun.
I sure wish rem still made the Alaska TI. !!!!!!
That's the look and design I'm after.
S'S& Sendero style stock & color. Prefer fluted& no mussel break.

This may be a stupid question but if a guy found a rem 700 Alaska TI Chambered in 30-06.
Can it be rechamberd for 300 win mag?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.