New member Question

ksnider1

gun)Hello from North Dakota, I am a avid hunter and I presently shoot a 7mm rem. mag. and I am would like to get your opinions on what caliber/rifle you think is the best for long range shooting. I am also lefthanded. Thank you!

That is a loaded question.

Caliber and cartridge is a personal preference depending on things like size of game, recoil sensitivity, and cost.

I personally like Savage rifles. You will find just as many who like Remingtons.

In long range shooting many times bullet selection and scope selection are more important than caliber or brand of a rifle.

If one were best for everyone we would not have so many choices.

I totally agree, I am not a remington person myself. I was hoping to get some feedback on savage rifles. I was thinking about a 300 ultra-mag. Something I can hunt elk or seer which I can do with my 7mm magnum already. I'm looking for something to be confident with out to 1000 yards. I presently shoot with nikon optics.

Best of the west guys don't seam to have any problem killing elk with a 7rem mag at a 1000 with 168 bergers. It is the cartridge they use the most.

If I were looking for an elk gun I would probably get the same thing you have.

If you are looking for more horsepower than the 300 ultra would be a good choice.

Most of my guns are hard recoiling large magnums and I seam to be going the other way to smaller calibers. For me they are more fun to shoot. I practice more with them and that makes me more confident. Shot placement is the most important thing. A bad shot with a bigger gun is usually still a wounded animal.

From one spelled right Snider to another I love my Savages! Just bought a model 12 in 300wsm for a do it all Missouri gun....

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts