New member from Alabama

Scott S

Hello all -

I've been reading a couple of weeks now and have been taking this all in. I'm no long range shooter at this time but I do hope to learn how. As most of you can guess, long range in Alabama is about 200 yds on a powerline somewhere. :D

I'm going on my first elk hunt - it is my first hunt out west in fact - in October to Colorado. My guide tells me to expect shots out to about 300 yds where we will be hunting so I have a good bit to learn. I've shot out to 200 on a range but 300 & 400 yds is something I've never had the opportunity to try.

I've never owned a custom rifle and I don't know anything about accurizing my factory rifles. I shoot a Winchester Model 70 (post 64) Featherweight in 30-06 and a Interarms Mk X Mannlicher in .308.

I plan to lean on you experts here for advice, assistance, and encouragement. If I post something really stupid please bear with me and remember that you have a true novice on your hands here. :)

Thanks!

Scott Spencer
Birmingham, AL

Welcome to Long Range Hunting Scott:

Not being able to shoot more than 200 yards is hard for me to wrap my mind around.;);)

Sounds like you've got the trip of a lifetime set up for this fall. Enjoy it as it will sure be different from anything you've done in Alabama. Good luck and I hope you get a big 'un.

Just remember, you have to post pics here and tell us all about your trip.

Feel free to ask questions about anything. There's always somebody that will help you out.:)

Thanks, fellas. I know, I know....200 yds to all of you is like 25 yds to me. LOL

I do have a friend that is hooking me up with someone who has a 500 yd range. I plan to start shooting on it next week.

I'm not really a target shooter but I do want to learn to "hunt" ethically out to about 400 - 500 yds. I'm not sure my 30-06 and 308 are the rifles to do it but that just shows my lack of experience and knowledge of ballistics, long range shooting, etc.

What are some basic things I can do to my rifles to make them as accurate as possible? Should I consider rebarreling either one of them? By the way. they are topped with a Leupold VX II 3-9x40 on the .308 and Leupold VX II 3-9x50 on the Winchester.

Scott

Scott,

I would consider either sending the scope on your 06 back to Leupold and having turrets installed ( I think turrets are available for the VX2s but wouldnt swear to it) or going with a scope already equipped with turrets. Your factory 06 will probably be fine as is out to 500. Put some rounds downrange to make sure that accuracy isnt an issue. You will not have any problems making yourself practice because shooting long range is addictive and a bunch of fun. Good luck.

Welcome, glad to have you here. Lots of good folks and lots of good info. Enjoy.

Welcome!
As far as your 30-06 goes, youll be fine with a 165gr or 180gr out to 500yds.
As nice as it would be to change up scopes/ turrits, sometimes it costs $ that we dont have. If it were me id spend that $ on quality ammo (a bunch of ammo) figure out what groups best in your rifle first at your home range out to 200 yds then buy alot of ammo. PRACTICE alot and ''dope'' your rifle. (point of impact vs point of aim). and limmit your shots to your best personal shooting ability(1st shot, cold bore, on target) when you go on your hunt. The optics can come later after youve tuned your rifle a bit if $ is tight.The more you shoot extended ranges the more confident youll get in your ability to place them correctly. Your confidence will soar if you keep with it!
One thing I used to do with my 30-06 with a standard duplex in my scope was to dope out where my crosshairs went from thin to thick. Sighted 0 at 100 yds with factory flat base spire point 180 gr ammo, with medium bases and a 40mm obj scope I was ''on''again at 380yds at the intersection of thin to thick.
Each rifle will be different but that may help ''ballpark'' your range while ''doping'' this intersection.
First and foremost ADJUST YOUR TRIGGER! Lighter triggers = tighter groups. It sucks when you''pull'' your shot due to a brick trigger! It costs 0$ if you do it yourself and its easy to do. I do all my model 70's on my own. (theyre factory rifles,used for hunting so were not talking ounces here) Be safe. I like mine set around 2#'s. (OTHER OPINIONS VARY GREATLY)if you dont have a trigger pull gage, just make the thing go click a tic before you think it should go click,and youll be around 2ish #'s. Im no expert or even close but a do it your self trigger job on a model 70 is easy, and very rewarding :)on the range and in the field. Good luck

Scott, make sure if your going to adjust your trigger you know what your doing. Not saying one has to be a smith to be qualified to do it but, I've heard a story or two about folks who adjusted their own trigger and the gun went bang when it wasn't supposed to. Remember the safety mechanism is part of the trigger assembly. I'd prefer to have mine adjusted by a competent smith and it is reasonably priced.

As I stated earlier, ''be safe''. Its a hunting rifle.
Chas1 does bring up a good point tho. If youve never even taken the stock off your rifle to clean it, you may want to have a smith do it for you. Maybe I overstepped my bounds, however they are incredibly simple. Maybe you could have a smith show you how once.
When in doubt, ALWAYS use a real and reputable gunsmith. And be safe!
Youll enjoy the bennifits of a better trigger either way

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.