new lot of reloader 22 in 300 rum

D.Camilleri

I just loaded some shells for my 300 rum with the guns favorite powder, rl-22 and the new powder is way hotter than the last lot that I used. I had some of my previous shells on hand and ran both through the chrono at the same session. Old load 90 gr rl 22 vel 3205 with NAB 180's single digit deviation. New powder lot, same charge and bullets, 3353 velocity with heavy extractor marks on the brass. ***! I called Alliant and they said that new loads need to be worked up with every new batch of powder. I have been reloading for 35 years and have never seen such a thing.

R22 is the powder that taught me to start at low book and work up, **** near blew my 7 mag up many years ago with a new lot.
R22 is a great powder but best bought by the keg!!!!!

RL22 is notorious for wide lot to lot variances. That is why I will not touch it with a stick!

I had one lot that I had to drop 4 whole grains to match my old load in a 6.5-06 AI

Too many great powders to put up with that crap!

If you want an RL22 equivalent, try MRP. More MV and less pressure compared to RL22 and no lot to lot wide variances.

BH

Last edited:
anyone want to buy some rl-22? I worked up a load with H-1000 and won't be looking back. Does RL 25 have any of the lot variation problems that RL 22 has? My 338 RUM really likes RL 25 and I hate to change.

What lot # of R22 ya got? I have a partial keg of R25 to trade, its one of the first lots but does not have a lot # on it.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.