Reloader 33 in 300 RUM Data ?

Elkhunter1983

Yeah I have an update. I just finished load development for my 300 RUM with the 210 Berger. I shot a final target yesterday morning to allow me to zero the scope before I go play at long range with this load. The 3-shot group was exactly 0.500" at 200 yards which I am plenty happy with considering that the barrel is a factory surplus barrel.

The load is: 97.0 gr of RL-33 in Rem brass, COAL = 3.800" which is about 0.010" off the lands, Fed 215 primers. This is giving me 3,000 to 3,040 fps out of a 26" tube depending on temp swings. The ES for any given shooting session usually approaches single digits. I have no pressure signs and the primers look good so I likely have some room to go faster but with it shooting this good, I'll just leave it alone.

I'm also using RL-33 in the 338 RUM with the 300 gr Bergers. I'm running 92.8 grains in Rem brass or 92.0 grains in Nosler brass and getting 2,750 fps out of a 26.4" tube again with ES around single digits. The bullets are seated about 0.004" off the lands. To get the 92.8 grains in the case without crushing the powder I had to seat the bullets with the press mounted upside down. But this is it. Can't fit any more powder in the case and groups run about 1.5 inches at 200 yards. I can open the bolt with my little pinky so again no pressure signs. Too bad there is no more room in the case. I am considering throating the rifle for the 300 Berger which would let me jack it up to 2,850 fps I figure but I'll wait until I burn the throat out a little more.

I'm just finishing up my load with my 300 RUM. 27.5 in tube, 230 grain berger, 3.98 COAL. I'm 20 thou off the lands. I'm going to shoot my final ladder this weekend. It's 103 to 104.5 grains in .3 grain increments. I'm right at what I think is the last power node before pressure signs will start showing thier ugly face and then again, maybe not. I have not chronoed my loads yet but I think I might bring it out this weekend. If I was a betting man, 103.6 will be my most accurate charge. None of these powder charges are compressed and all brass are still perfectly sound after a good annealing. I'm so happy with rl 33 that I am developing a load for my son's 270 wsm with a 165 matrix bullet. Should be a perfect elk load for a 12 year old.

Hey all I am look for a starting load for my 300 RUM. using 215gr Berger hybrid with Reloader33 anything will help thanks.

Hey all I am look for a starting load for my 300 RUM. using 215gr Berger hybrid with Reloader33 anything will help thanks.
Start at 90gr or so and walk up until you hit good pressure. Some of us are getting quite a bit different pressures and vel's by the mid 90's so I'd start at 90. with the 230 berger ZZ and Montana's rifles couldn't be any different; ZZ is going over 100 gr ( I think he'll land in the 102-104 grain range) and the rifle is taking it like a champ, but Montana's rifle is topped at 96 grains.
My 300 rum is spiting the 225 hornady out at 3000 fps at 95 grains rl33. It's a good stable load but I haven't bothered to find top safe charge yet.

Went back to the range to finalize my 300 rum load. Brought the chronograph with to see how fast we can get the 230 Berger going. Results where staggering to me. My ladder was 103.3 to 104.5 grains. I was suspecting that my most accurate load would be at 103.6 with my top being somewhere around the 104 mark.
My results showed my most accurate load was 103.3. Hole in a hole with my first 2 shots and then the pressure got to me and I pulled a bit on the third. I did run the ladder up to 104.3 where I had a major crater on the primer and hard bolt lift. The thing that spun me in a circle was that this load was very, very accurate. The three holes were touching. I found power nodes with 33 are not the drastic open groups in the middle of the nodes. There is only around .5 to .7 grains difference in nodes.
Now, the fun part. I chronographed every load and again, super surprised.

Results as follows:
103.3 - 3200
103.6 - 3210
103.9 - 3230
104.2 - 3250
104.5 - didn't shoot

My conclusion is that this powder is going to be a game changer for so many large bore and fence caliber rifles (wsm and saum). It will also be a headache for Alliant because everyone that has tested it has a different starting and ending point. Load data will be generic at best. The fact that you can fill the case with powder and not blow yourself up is amazing to me. I have been shooting 7828 ssc forever in my ultra mags with wonderful results. But never once could I fill the cases and get uncharted velocities without some sort of pressure sign big or small. I sure hope that whitetail I saw at 1350 last year pokes his head out of the trees again this year. I want him to say hello to my little friend!!

Looking for a little help. I have a Remington 700 Long Range with the factory 26" barrel chambered in the 300 Ultra. I am wondering if anyone has experimented with the RL-33 and Berger 215 Hybrids? I have looked everywhere for some data on this and no one seem to be using this combo. I have been using Nosler Brass and started with 98 grains. Extractor marks didn't start to show till 100 grains. The sweet spot for my gun seems to be about 99.5 grains which give me a velocity of 3043fps. Anyone else out there playing with the same bullet, powder combo?

Thanks great information here, Im just starting to work up a load for my newly acquired 300 RUM. I was not happy with the load that came with the rifle (90gr retumbo 230 bergers 3.910 COAL RP brass 250 cci)
I wanted info on RL 33, looks like Doublezranch went thru the rigors, I will probably start my ladder lower but it would seem this powder is producing the results I'm looking for. I'll let you know my results.

I have a 300 RUM 8" twist, 30" barrel built on a Rem 700. Using 93 grains of RE-33, FED215M primers, I am getting 3120 avg. out of our 227 Hammer Hunter. RE-33 shines in these bigger cartridges. Using a lot of it in the 338 Lapua wildcat cartridges.
Brian

Anyone have data for the 220 ELDX bullets and RL 33 I have both the bergers 230's OTM's and the 220 ELDX. Sounds like a good starting point might be around 92 or 93 grains on the safe side.

I'm surprised at some of these 300RUMs loads, I loaded up some 230 Hybrids for my 300AX and started seeing signs at 102gr and had heavy bolt lift at 103Gr.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.