New Lapua

Hard Head

Was finally able to go out with my new Savage 110 Elite in 338 Lapua, put a EC Tuner on it along with the 5x25 -34mm Vortex. Was using Lapua brass 285 Hornady and LRT powder started with 103 to 104.5grains ,shot 3 each for accuracy and 3 for velocity. Best load was 3.760 o/l grouped 1/2, 3 shot group and that 30" barrel was able to burn a lot of the LRT.104.5, averaged 2922 with a 4.2 S.D. Will play with the tuner and seating depth, one thing for sure is .............it moves ya,not sharp just a lot of Pushhhh!! Pete

No ,just the regular Lapua, I really like the savage ,but the stock on this thing is Awesome, sure wish I would have had this those 26 years I lived in Montana, there in eastern Montana, where I lived and worked in Billings as a Masonry Contractor I got to know a lot of ranchers, you could shoot for miles, but no one did. There is a lot of BLM land but you have to respect it ,there is always some who abuse it ,leave there trash, targets and drive off the road ,THAT is a No No. Pete

Same here on the regular chamber. I had high hopes for the LRT it just hasn't worked yet but that's the way it goes sometimes. I stopped at 102 grains. Had good speed just couldn't get a good group or acceptable ES. Sounds like you would've had plenty of room to stretch that Savage out in MT especially if you had rancher friends. It is a shame that a few morons can ruin everthing but happens everywhere.

This I can tell you, the E.C, Tuner that Eric Cortina sells out of Texas really works. The service is second to none and the product is well worth the small cost. I say that in when you work up loads it is much faster and much more cost effective, as you or anyone who shoots one they are not cheep ,especially now with the cost of supplies. I know LRT can be finicky but at the cost it is worth the gamble. play with your charges, and if you have an EC Tuner, load. Find what distance you rifle likes off the lands, load only 2 of each and do a ladder test, once you find the load do the same with the tuner, start at 0 and work up on # at a time, you will see it start to work. I love shooting never had it for the AR as grew up with a bolt back in the late 50's .loved it the A R is a wonderful killing machine for the services but never had a calling for it. First exposer was in Texas at boot camp in 1966. When I got out went home to Washington State picked up my Weatherby's Browning's and moved to Montana, the rest is history. There was a Old Rancher I got to know that lived out in the Break country, I was 24 he was 90,wore Convers Tennis high tops as his feet hurt and no shoe strings ,he took a liken to me and me him, he could tell some real stories as he Homesteaded his land in 1910, Pete

Those would've been some great stories. I'm a big fan of Cortinas but have never tried his brakes. Have heard great things on them though. My rig really likes H1000 and does extremely well with it so far kinda why I didn't go to far down the hole with the LRT yet.

Was finally able to go out with my new Savage 110 Elite in 338 Lapua, put a EC Tuner on it along with the 5x25 -34mm Vortex. Was using Lapua brass 285 Hornady and LRT powder started with 103 to 104.5grains ,shot 3 each for accuracy and 3 for velocity. Best load was 3.760 o/l grouped 1/2, 3 shot group and that 30" barrel was able to burn a lot of the LRT.104.5, averaged 2922 with a 4.2 S.D. Will play with the tuner and seating depth, one thing for sure is .............it moves ya,not sharp just a lot of Pushhhh!! Pete
Useless without pictures.gif

Those would've been some great stories. I'm a big fan of Cortinas but have never tried his brakes. Have heard great things on them though. My rig really likes H1000 and does extremely well with it so far kinda why I didn't go to far down the hole with the LRT yet.
.338 Thor scoped 2 of 4.jpg

EC tuner brake.jpg

They work well on my.338 Thor, but I have yet to play with the tuner; still in the fire-forming brass phase.

Ray Shultz was the gentleman's name. He loved Old Crow Whisky ,the first time I brought him a gallon out I thought he was going to adopt me. I'd go out every Saturday morning when I had free time from my work, he would always insist I had breakfast with them, was always a slab of ham fried, hashbrowns with eggs an a short stack, with perked coffee. This was Montana in the late 60's to early 70's. Too many east and west coast that were running from there problems there and brought them with them along with the way they thought thins should be.Pete

That's a real gentleman and just the way things were back then, still some now just not very much. I agree with you on how the times and people have changed some of these places and not for the better. My range partner found some H1k last week for $40/# so we stocked up lol.

I quit hunting once I left Billings, was in California , Sacramento where I met my wife, she was from Wisconsin so we left and moved here. The people are real nice here but refuse to pay to hunt ,or buy or lease land to hunt .The DNR comes in and tells you how to use your forest ,never was a tree stand hunter was all, a back pack and walk glass and walk loved the wide open spaces, maybe I'll become a Rock, the kind I hunted for when I was a mason in Billings, that way when my spirit leaves it will settle on a hillside watching all that is in view, and I can watch time go by and the game feed and play Pete

To all you who like pics and want picks....................from me ya won't get the. I will not own a smart phone, big brother has too many ways to watch and listen to you as it is. Pete