New Hornady 30 Cal 225 ELD-X

BountyHunter

This last weekend at the IBS 1000 Yard Nationals saw Dave Tooley in action with the new Hornady 30 caliber 225 Grain ELD-X.

Dave tied for first in Heavy gun score shooting the 300 HSM (Hornady Super Magnum) which is a 375 Ruger necked down to 30 caliber. They were running 2850 out of his barrel with RL 22.

These bullets have a proven doppler radar BC G1 of .745 and G7 of .370.

Dave was primarily shooting for score not group and the bullets showed very tight on the vertical. BTW his 10 shot group average was 7.7 with the class winner shooting a 6.1 average for 3 matches of 10 shots each.

With a BC of .370, very tight vertical and the terminal performance of the ELDX bullet this should make a great LR bullet for the hunters.

Dave said it would probably be the first of the year before they are released but Hornady was very pleased with the results to say the least.

My first match in 5 years after all the surgeries. With new gun, new rest and tuning loads at the match I was not in my routine to say the least. I finished top 1/3 in Light Gun but heavy mirage and faded orange target numbers allowed me to put two bullets on the next target. Got to see that target and wish they were on mine. Lucky for him my tips were marked with a green marker and they left perfect green circles on his target and easy to tell my bullet holes from his unmarked ones.

Tag!!!
I'm running the 225 BTHP in my 300 Weatherby.
I wonder if he was using a 10 twist or something faster.
Hopefully they built it around the thousands of 10 twist barrels out there...

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.