New Here 308 issue

Sounds familiar...moved from NY to South FL...80+ Humidity...95 degrees..feels like 115-120 degrees...sweat beads down your back, sweat in your eyes...very stressful...I have not acclimated in 29 years...(former Army & former LEO). Keep Shooting it's Florida

I run 34 or 34.5 grains of Varget behind168gr Hornady BTHP's . Same load as the Hornady match ammo you can buy off the shelf. I start at 33.8 and work up when I get a new batch of powder. At least in my rifle it is always between 34 and 34.5 that shoots the best. Good luck

Hi all
Name is Bill and I'm new to this site
I have stumbled here while looking for info on .300 Pegasus brass
But since I'm here let me ask few questions
I have Remington 700 Tactical in 308 with M5 barrel
I have been shooting it in NJ for about 5 years and had my load developed and proven
168 Nesler HP/BT
IMR 4895 41 gr
With this load I could hold 1/2 inch group at 200yd
Recently I have escaped from New Jersey and moved to FL
While at a local range in FL my proven load did not performed as expected I could not get better group then 3-4 inches
Can air temp and density make that much difference
In NJ I had no problem to take 15 rounds in a row and hold 3, 5 round groups with in 1/2 inch
Do I need to go back to the basic and start working up a new load?
I live in South Western Florida and I'm sorry to say that the simple answer is "YES" I have had great luck with ALliant RL-17 powder and for hunting .30 cal Horandy 180 grain SST # 30702 bullets. Please re work up a load for down here. OBTW please check out the temperature sensitive powders. Most manufactures have got on this bandwagon !

Now a question
Do I need more bullet speed in thin hot air?
If u have ur rifle fine tuned, for that rifle, i would just try making adjustments with what u already use. Then if u dont see any difference, try a different powder or bullet or both. I think i would just try to adjust to that jeavier air, maybe use a bit more powder.

One more thing , the closer u are to the water the more humidity u will have and the heavier the air will be. It makes sense to maybe go with speed , but a heavier bullet may work better, just have to experiment with it. Sorry, i cant help any better than that, and sorry about the few mistakes in the last message.

Now a question
Do I need more bullet speed in thin hot air?
Short answer is no. Has more to do with barrel harmonics. Most likely the velocity you found accuracy with up north will be where it is at down here. This might vary some when changing powders. Different burning rates can change harmonics, but I doubt it will change much. The air also isn't nesc thinner either. Humidity plays a role. Density altitiude matters with everything that flys from airplanes to bullets. This is why bullets shoot flatter in the mountains than at sea level, and airplanes in Denver take more runway in Denver than in Florida.

Hi all
I have been shooting it in NJ for about 5 years and had my load developed and proven
168 Nesler HP/BT
IMR 4895 41 gr
While at a local range in FL my proven load did not performed as expected I could not get better group then 3-4 inches
In NJ I had no problem to take 15 rounds in a row and hold 3, 5 round groups with in 1/2 inch
Yeah buddy... this time try Varget...

I also live in Florida and my to best shooters are 308. I've had great luck 4064 imr one rifle 43.5 gr. Another 44.5. They both been on numerous hunts in Idaho montana and Georgia and have shot extremely well all places and every year when I pull them out in sept and go to the range they are spot on no changes, my son calls them boring I call them sweet. One is a sako the other is a browning Good luck

I'm in Oklahoma and love my 308! Reading through this thread. No one asked the question about how many rounds you down the tube, your throat erosion check or the last time you did a heavy cleaning. When I shot competition in the Navy. When our groups started opening up was a sign of the barrel getting ready to be set back or replaced. Setting it back only gave us another 500 to 750 rounds.
Just my two worthless cents
Rhino

Hi all
168 Nesler HP/BT
IMR 4895 41 gr
Try a more temp stable ball powder Shooters World Match Rifle or Hogdon CFE 223 similar burning speed comparable powder charges

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts