New Here 308 issue

I believe I have the same sort of thing happening when I'm using IMR-4064. For me it was the air temp in the winter versus the summer.

I was stationed in Florida for 7 years (wife is from Destin FL.) and being originally from SC I didn't notice to much difference in heat and humidty. However when I moved to NM and now when I go home to SC or to FL to visit inlaws I am about to die! When I move weapons to a new place I usually do a little mini load workup. It wont take you long to find it and it will not be far from where you are at now on powder charge more than likely. Also after moving I go through my entire gun with a torque wrench and check every screw. Best of luck brother.

I was stationed in Florida for 7 years (wife is from Destin FL.) and being originally from SC I didn't notice to much difference in heat and humidty. However when I moved to NM and now when I go home to SC or to FL to visit inlaws I am about to die! When I move weapons to a new place I usually do a little mini load workup. It wont take you long to find it and it will not be far from where you are at now on powder charge more than likely. Also after moving I go through my entire gun with a torque wrench and check every screw. Best of luck brother.
Thanks

thanks for your survive

That is true I've run into the same problem up north but to compensate for it just adjust the elevation and that resolve the issue for me at least

Everyone so far has the right idea! Heat and humidity is what is affecting your point of impact. And possibly elevation! I'm in New Hampshire at 1400 feet elevation. Was in Connecticut time till 1988. When I moved here, had to rework my 308 load for the elevation, temp and humidity. It's back to where it used to shoot now! Howa 308 Hevy Barrel 1500 Mountain Riffle.

Hi all
Name is Bill and I'm new to this site
I have stumbled here while looking for info on .300 Pegasus brass
But since I'm here let me ask few questions
I have Remington 700 Tactical in 308 with M5 barrel
I have been shooting it in NJ for about 5 years and had my load developed and proven
168 Nesler HP/BT
IMR 4895 41 gr
With this load I could hold 1/2 inch group at 200yd
Recently I have escaped from New Jersey and moved to FL
While at a local range in FL my proven load did not performed as expected I could not get better group then 3-4 inches
Can air temp and density make that much difference
In NJ I had no problem to take 15 rounds in a row and hold 3, 5 round groups with in 1/2 inch
Do I need to go back to the basic and start working up a new load?

Thanks for this info
I do have some Varget left
What load would you recommend with 168 gr bullet
My Remington 700 Milspecs shoot sub .5MOA with 43gr Varget, 210Ms or WinLR primers, 165-168gr bullets. I had some temp stability issues with IMR4895. If this is your issue, Varget is VERY temperature stabile since the introduction of the "Exteme" improvement.

Yes , the weather change can definitely make a difference. I promise that the air in floida will be heavier , cause of humidity. Humidity, ehich u probably already know, is basically a percentage of wet air, so its like shooting through heavier air , when theres humidity, like in florida , but in ur move something could have shook loose as well. I would just double check all ur set screws and stock screws, tighten them if needed as well. Im not sure what the weather was like in new jersey, probably cold, but floida is usually hot and dry, which normally would make ur bullet travel further in most cases , except when its really humid, then its almost like shooting through thick fog sometime, depending on what the percentage is of humidity. Hope this helps u out.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.