New guy here...

USMC03Grunt

I take it that this is the forum to introduce yourself to everyone, if you're a new guy.

A bit about me...

I'm currently serving as an active duty Marine infantryman (just got back from Afghanistan about 6 weeks ago), am stationed down here in NC, but am originally from Missouri.

I started to get into long range shooting and that sort of thing when I was about, but never got too serious about it until recently. This weekend, I am headed home to check out my .300 win mag Savage 110 BA that gets in tomorrow-- definitely going to be a good time from everything I have read on it.

In addition, this weekend, I am installing a Kydex cheek riser on my Savage 10FP, and giving it a camo coat of sorts with that ultra flat Krylon spray paint. I'll be sure to post pictures of that adventure-- I've never painted a rifle before, hopefully it turns out well. I read about a dozen different threads on it here and was considering going with DuraCoat, but after having emailed them a rather extensive and detailed series of questions, they sent me several back with about the worst attitude towards a customer one could possibly impart in an email. That's one thing I can't stand-- poor customer service, so I made the decision that with my low income (thank you Uncle Sam!), I'd give it a shot with Krylon and never visit Houts Enterprises websites again.

About more about me and my shooting habits-- one of my favorite rifles is a 3 years Remington 700 VTR in .308. That sucker is a tackdriver. For quite a while, my favorite model rifle was undoubtedly the 700, but two months ago, I invested in that Savage 10FP. And what can I say fellas, I am a total convert.

Really looking forward to contributing to some of the great discussions here and learning everything I can. Hope to hear from yall soon. In addition, if any of you have questions about what exactly is going on across the pond, what I experienced, my friends experienced, and anything related-- feel free to message me and I'll be happy to reply and possibly send pictures if they are applicable.

First and fore-most, Thank you for your servise to our country.
Welcome to L/R/H. Im glad you found it. Theres tons of usefull info here.

First and fore-most, Thank you for your service to our country.
Welcome to L/R/H. Im glad you found it. There's tons of useful info here.

+1 on that!! Big thanks!!

Welcome to LRH, tons of great guys and info here!! And a welcome to the dark side of the barrel nut, just wait till the barrel swapping bug hits, that 110 BA would make a nice 338 EDGE.:D

Hi Mate and a BIG welcome to you and glad to see you made it home safe!

I'm sure you will love the Savage 110BA sounds like a real 'kick-butt' bit of kit.gun)

I too own the Savage 10FP and have nothing but praise for it - I love it. Price, quality, accuracy all there, just mad.

You will find a nice piccy of my rig here in the new introduction section.

Since that photo, I've upgrade the optics to a nice new NightForce NXS 5.5-22 X 50 Mil Radian MLR reticle scope and my word - it is **** fine sir!:cool:

I really like the HS Precision stock on the 10FP, fits really nice for me.

Check this recent photo of my Savage at our first I.P.S.C. Rifle Match:

5thSundayShoot479.jpg

I was shooting in 'Open Division' due to mag capacity and muzzle brake.

Enjoy your new rifle:D

Cheers.

I take it that this is the forum to introduce yourself to everyone, if you're a new guy.

A bit about me...

I'm currently serving as an active duty Marine infantryman (just got back from Afghanistan about 6 weeks ago), am stationed down here in NC, but am originally from Missouri.

I started to get into long range shooting and that sort of thing when I was about, but never got too serious about it until recently. This weekend, I am headed home to check out my .300 win mag Savage 110 BA that gets in tomorrow-- definitely going to be a good time from everything I have read on it.

About more about me and my shooting habits-- one of my favorite rifles is a 3 years Remington 700 VTR in .308. That sucker is a tackdriver. For quite a while, my favorite model rifle was undoubtedly the 700, but two months ago, I invested in that Savage 10FP. And what can I say fellas, I am a total convert.

Last edited:
Thank you for your service and I appreciate the fact that when I lay my head down at night I can sleep well because you are fighting the enemy in their land ! We pray for the men and women in uniform freguently at our church God bless you and your family . Oh one last thing if you get Osama in your sights be sure and hold center mass of the diaper :D

BigBuck

Well hey y'all, I sure appreciate all the warm welcomes, support, and gratitude.

I was down there in southern Helmand Province, about +-90 miles north of the Pakistani border kickin *** and taking names.

Found out today that my 110 BA got in-- I'll be picking that up saturday morning and setting it up to shoot that afternoon.

And, that's all after my fun friday night which will involve painting my 10FP and installing a Kydex cheek riser on it. Should be lots of fun.

Pics to follow of the 110BA all set up and my 10FP painted.

Thank you for your service to our great nation! I am glad you are home safe and hope you don't have to go back.

There are some good long-range opportunities here in VA at Quantico MCB. They hold some modified f-class matches from time to time.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f36/quantico-modified-f-class-w-pics-44039/

Generally speaking, the matches are held on the Sunday of the first full weekend of the month. Drop me a PM if you're interested. Would gladly meet up with you to shoot.

I was just talking to my roommate about potentially going up there if we have a 72 hour weekend at some point in the near future. If you wouldn't mind, just shoot me a PM with a website or some sort of contact information for the organization that runs the shoot. He is considering using a 700 SPS in .308, and I'm looking at either my Savage 10FP in .308 or my new 110BA (picking it up tonight) in .300 win mag.

Out of curiosity, what sort of power scopes are common in this sort of thing? Also, what are the dimensions of the target, or what type are they? I've never shot competition, but it is certainly something I would like to get into.

I was just talking to my roommate about potentially going up there if we have a 72 hour weekend at some point in the near future. If you wouldn't mind, just shoot me a PM with a website or some sort of contact information for the organization that runs the shoot. He is considering using a 700 SPS in .308, and I'm looking at either my Savage 10FP in .308 or my new 110BA (picking it up tonight) in .300 win mag.

Out of curiosity, what sort of power scopes are common in this sort of thing? Also, what are the dimensions of the target, or what type are they? I've never shot competition, but it is certainly something I would like to get into.

Here's the organization that runs the matches...

Quantico Shooting Club

check the various calendars for match dates.

As an active duty Marine, you could join the club right away and it's not expensive (us civilians need a sponsor). Although you don't need to be a member to shoot in the matches.

The modified f-class matches are very laid back and everyone is willing to give you a hand. Here are two posts that will walk you through most of the stuff you need for a match....

Maryland Shooters - View Single Post - Quantico 1st "modified"match of the season

Maryland Shooters - View Single Post - Quantico 3rd "Modified F-Class" match March 8th

In terms of optics on your rifle, I've shot 1000 yard matches with a fixed 10x scope and now I've upgraded to an MK4 6.5-20x. Probably the most important aspect of your scope is the amount of elevation you have. With a 308 you will need around 40 minutes of "up"

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-308-1k-rifle-evolution-continues-43510/

308 will be one of the most common calibers on the line. Some folks shoot the 155 or 168 grain bullets. The conventional wisdom is to shoot the 175grain or heavier though. Sometimes the lighter bullets can't quite make to 1k.

F-class targets are fairly large. If I remember correctly, they are 60" square.

Don't worry if you haven't ever shot a match. These events are informal and everyone will be willing to help. Heck, if you don't have or forgot a piece of gear, someone will loan you whatever you need. I've known guys that loaned their rifles.

USMC03Grunt, Semper Fi. Thank you for your service. 03 Groundpounder, sounds like your stationed at Camp Lejeune. I went through AI there in 70' and back there again to visit my son in 93' hadn't changed much. Where'd you go to boot camp...PI or Hollywood?

Last edited:
USMC03Grunt, Semper Fi. Thank you for your service. 03 Groundpounder, sounds like your stationed at Camp Legeune. I went through AI there in 70' and back there again to visit my son in 93' hadn't changed much. Where'd you go to boot camp...PI or Hollywood?

Oh you better believe I am Hollywood all the way.

Found out some good news today-- my volunteering paid off, so me and my roommate are headed back to Afghanistan here in the next couple months.... WOO HOO!

Guess I better get to that match here soon. Right now, I am in the middle of a practice paint job on my AR-15, but will soon be hitting the Savage. As soon as I am done with that, I will be sure to check out all those links listed about the shoots. Thanks so much fellas.

And here's a peak at what my AR-15 now looks like.... well nevermind.... I have no idea how to upload pictures...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.