New guy from Michigan.

semperguy

Not sure if I've introduced myself or not. I've been a member for a while but all I've been doing is reading and learning till now. I picked up my first legitimate long range rifle this week. A Model 70 push feed 223 action which has been trued up, Shilen Bull Barrel, timney tigger, HS Precision stock, Glass bedded with a weaver Classic T fixed 24power target scope with the 1/8MOA dot and super fine crosshairs. its used buy I know the previous owner and he has put less than 200 rds down the pipe and he broke it in properly. I don't reload yet but am beginning the acquisition of what I need for it. The only thing I don't like about the package is the scope. Plan on replacing it with a viper PST SFP MIL/MIL in 6-24x50 as soon as finances allow. Shooting history. 4yrs active duty Marine as an 0331 with 2nd Bat 4th marines. I shoot IDPA, I've shot 3 gun and I'm an avid Traditional bowhunter. Looking for a new challenge. Can't wait to conversate.

welcome Semper Fi bro. ive been out since 86 yea im an old guy. dont have a tru long range set up yet. but i know your headed for fun times.

Welcome. I'm located near Napoleon in SE MI, and have access to some hunting property near Manchester, MI. Load work is usually initially tested at the DNR range at Sharonville DNR - Sharonville Shooting Range

Range time is free, and the DNR guys run it a little on the military side, not a bad thing at times...

Welcome. I'm located near Napoleon in SE MI, and have access to some hunting property near Manchester, MI. Load work is usually initially tested at the DNR range at Sharonville DNR - Sharonville Shooting Range

Range time is free, and the DNR guys run it a little on the military side, not a bad thing at times...

Not a bad thing. Private clubs perpetuate alcoholics.:)

Got another 2500 Lake City 05 match cases in 223 the other day plus a Springfield M1 Garand and a Colt Python, never fired in the box....and a Ten Point pulley X-bow too.

Life is good. Wallet is empty....

That archery shop in Blissfield (next to the hardware store on 223 is closing). Everything is 20-30% off. Lots of archery stuff. Thats where the Ten Point came from btw.

Flip, compared to you I have been a saint..... I did manage to get 1000pcs of new RP 308 brass. Just a week ago I got nearly 150 pcs of Nosler 308 brass for $45 (once fired). I also got a 1:8 Wylde chambered match barrel for my 223 and some 80gr Berger VLD's to go along with it.

I have been helping a former boss build a 6.5x47 Lapua match rifle and it is coming together. Have to say the brand new model 12 VLP he got as the base rifle had me shaking my head. Have you seen how they blast the crap out of those nice fluted barrels nowdays ? My barrel just got hit with a fine bead blast, but it looked like his had stuff in the media 10x the size of mine. Of course the nut was totally seized on the barrel threads, had to get lubed and painstakingly worked back and forth to get the blasting media out. New barrel went on fine. We were done in 15 min just like I said we would...

He has my 6-24x50 Viper PST scope to begin with so he can make his mind up regarding what to buy. I am on the market for a few scopes too... Do you have a need for any 4350 ?

I'm good on propellants other than 332 which I'll order an 8 pounder and when it shows up is fine.

That place in Blissfield has some gun stuff too, I got 2 pair of real nice American made camo mittens for 8 bucks a pair, lots of cleaning supplies and a pile of bows, recurve and compound plus the X-bows.

Don't believe I'll ever run short on 308 cases either. I have a couple thousnad prepped and primed put away.

BTW, Johnsons has/had Varget and Retumbo last weekend, I was in there snooping around.

I just hate buying little one pounders.

Contemplating a 223 myself but something inexpensive for a truck gun. Maybe a Savage Axis or a Ruger American with a cheap scope for close in shots (under 200 yards)..... has to be something I can use for a walking stick and not feel remorseful.

Not fond of Ruger triggers but I hear the American has a non-Ruger actually decent trigger.

The Garand and the Python are for sale btw. One Garand style action is enough in my gun safe as is one revolver.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.