New from wv

wvmountainhick

I'm looking at getting into some long range shooting and really just looking to have some fun. I'd like to get competent at it and maybe try my hand at deer in the 600-800 yards range. I know that's not long range for many of you but most places I hunt my shots rarely exceed 100-150 yards. I do belong to a club that will allow me to stretch it out to the previously mentioned distances. Again, not new to hunting or shooting for that matter, just new to the long range stuff. Also, I know it takes range time and I don't plan to go out and pull it off this season because I don't think there's time to become proficient in this short period of time but it's like to get started soon. Really just joined to gain some info on what gun/caliber to choose. I've already set my mind on a leupold 4.5-14 Mark 4 scope. Thanks.

I grew up not far from you and still have family in the moorefield/Petersburg area. Went to school in mt storm. Ended up moving to Berkeley county to find work. Would love to move back though. You got any ideas on what kind of rifle I should be looking at (caliber) since your in the same general area? I just don't want to be suffering from buyers remorse later. Was kind of killing to get a 300 win mag since ammo is available and I reload for my dad already. Figures it'd double as a nice elk gun should I ever get to go. Was thinking of reworking one of my Ruger's but seems like a harder platform to start with as far as finding a stock upgrade. Shame too because I think that .280 would have done well for my needs.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.