New from Troy MT

Welcome from central Arizona!
Long Range hunting is subjective. Personally, I call long range the ability to make first round hits at the farthest point your bullet is still effective for hunting. That varies according to your chambering and your ability. So, you have to practice, a lot.

I am curious what distance "long range" means to most.
I have taken 2 elk at 408yds and 505yds using only holdover radii....
Thoughts?
Welcome and enjoy the information put out. Any animal at 4-500 yards is a good poke and well past what probably 80 percent of shooters can put a bullet exactly where they want it. Nice work and shooting. Try things and make your own decisions as there are a lot of opinions and beliefs that may or may not work for you. Long distance to me is very dependent on the animal and cartridge....especially the cartridge as I want a certain velocity/energy on target. Coyotes with a 223...starting to get long range at 400yds. Ground hogs with a 7mm STW....starting to get long range past 6-700yds. Deer, Elk, with a 06....+600yds,......with big magnum +700yds. Muzzle Loader....250-300yds. Bow....past 80yds. Edit....I never dial unless I have to. If my scope has a reticle to allow a aiming point I DON'T dial....even out to 1000yds or so. Why mess around doing anything other than reading environment, getting comfortable, and just making the shot? If they have a standard duplex I only dial when I have to, and usually have a very large MPBR zone starting out. I had to dial my farthest antelope (800 yds even because I intentionally found that exact distance) the rifle (300 RUM 180BT's at 3400) has a VX3 6.5-20 standard duplex from the early 90's and 800yds was well past the MPBR to estimate drop accurate enough for me. I have my chart and I can hold dope cartridge/animal size dependent into the 4-500's.

Last edited:
Wow, groundhogs that far!

Thank you for the thoughts.
LOL....a lot is to your advantage and we only use our big long range guns for practice. They don't move, and you have as long as you ever need to get ready. If you miss fully (oh I do miss) because of technique, dope, or even environment you can just adjust and try again. If you miss slightly they are dead instantly, or within a couple seconds so my conscience is ok. Even if it goes down for the day....it will be back out later or another day.

Welcome from central Arizona!
Long Range hunting is subjective. Personally, I call long range the ability to make first round hits at the farthest point your bullet is still effective for hunting. That varies according to your chambering and your ability. So, you have to practice, a lot.
Bob,

I was thinking quite a bit about how to answer this question posed by the OP.

After reading your definition, I believe that I have found one of the most concise ways to capture exactly what long range means to me.

Great answer, bro!

Welcome from northeast georgia. Great to have you on board.
Lots of times i believe long range is defined by cartridge , gun and shooter. Lots of people in hilly country where i live the 30/30 and 35 rem are king. To them 200 yards would be a long spot.
I don't practice as much as i have since getting older and less mobile. 250 yards would be a long way for me. There are some that can shoot and hit at long range. So it could be 800, 1000, or 1200. I have seen the time when i could shoot to 500 easy and make hits. But something starts happening to ones body after a certain age.. it has caught up with me. People that shoot regular at extended ranges and understand trajectories, they have very long ranges for them.
Practice every chance you have at long range. You will be surprised at what range you can attain., after a short time.

Welcome from Canyon Ferry, long range for me personally has changed a lot over the past few years, I used to think 400 was a long shot but with scopes/rangefinders and weather devices coming into play along with ballistic apps, that has stretched a few hundred more yards. I do think it's somewhat of a personal view that changes with practice.

Welcome from northeast georgia. Great to have you on board.
Lots of times i believe long range is defined by cartridge , gun and shooter. Lots of people in hilly country where i live the 30/30 and 35 rem are king. To them 200 yards would be a long spot.
I don't practice as much as i have since getting older and less mobile. 250 yards would be a long way for me. There are some that can shoot and hit at long range. So it could be 800, 1000, or 1200. I have seen the time when i could shoot to 500 easy and make hits. But something starts happening to ones body after a certain age.. it has caught up with me. People that shoot regular at extended ranges and understand trajectories, they have very long ranges for them.
Practice every chance you have at long range. You will be surprised at what range you can attain., after a short time.
Yes Sir, true all!

Recent Posts