New caliber selection

Ive been kicking around the idea of a 20"ish 6Creed, 260, 6BR, and 6.5PRC.

I forgot to mention that this will be shot 100% suppressed. That's why I'm super against a 28" barrel.

I read what you wrote originally and I can still suggest the 6.5 PRC even after what limited reading you've done.

When we first built this cartridge, the idea was to go after the PRC crowd with a cartridge exhibiting performance as well as the capability of shooting it suppressed in a short action magazine either for competition or hunting. Knowing the additional length that a can adds, we started using barrels in the 20-22" range to keep the rifle length a little more manageable. We didn't have the 143 ELD-X bullet but we had the 140 AMAX and several other hunting/target bullets to test. Keeping the OAL at 2.800" is easy and then you simply work with the powder which will perform in shorter barrels. Not a big deal.

Using Re-26 and IMR-7828 SSC gets you about 2950 fps in the upper pressure scale with all of the powder being consumed in my 22" barrel.

Regards.

I read what you wrote originally and I can still suggest the 6.5 PRC even after what limited reading you've done.

When we first built this cartridge, the idea was to go after the PRC crowd with a cartridge exhibiting performance as well as the capability of shooting it suppressed in a short action magazine either for competition or hunting. Knowing the additional length that a can adds, we started using barrels in the 20-22" range to keep the rifle length a little more manageable. We didn't have the 143 ELD-X bullet but we had the 140 AMAX and several other hunting/target bullets to test. Keeping the OAL at 2.800" is easy and then you simply work with the powder which will perform in shorter barrels. Not a big deal.

Using Re-26 and IMR-7828 SSC gets you about 2950 fps in the upper pressure scale with all of the powder being consumed in my 22" barrel.

Regards.

Huh. In the mag they said 2990 with a 143 eldx with a 28" barrel. So in theory around 2590 @ 20"

Huh. In the mag they said 2990 with a 143 eldx with a 28" barrel. So in theory around 2590 @ 20"
You don't lose near as much with a can as a straight cut off. The 18"xm3 is only 80fps slower than the 26" m40.
That prc shooting the 147's would be a very deadly deer round.I was shooting them at 2855 in a creed and the only kill shot was a coyote in the 225yd range. It was manged up so we didn't do an analysis however it folded up on the shot and turned the snow bright red

Read the thread: a 308 with 168 eldm are great for coyotes and deer especially if ur shooting inside of 400.
The 143 eldx is also good on deer and coyotes. The prc has every advantage over the 308 ballistically and if ur gonna build a rifle, I'd go with prc

I'm going to be getting an Origin action shortly. It's a SA with either 223/224, 308, or mag bolt face. As of right now I have an AR 243, hunting rifle in 260, target rifle in 260, 7mm Wby, 300WM, 338WM, and 338LM. Currently 7mm, 300, and 338WM are for sale. I'm trying to decide what I should build with this action. I had originally thought of a short, light weight hunter, but I don't really want to spend the $$ for a Proof. So then I'm back to a hunting/steel rifle. I'm in the north central US. Hunting would be deerish size game and smaller. 0-400yds. Ive been kicking around the idea of a 20"ish 6Creed, 260, 6BR, and 6.5PRC.

Any others I should think about?
Go with the long action or you'll regret it because of mag box limitations.

The 6.5 PRC is ideal or deer sized game and good up to elk sized game at reasonable ranges.

I've looked at the PRC a little, but what I'm seeing(newest American Rifleman mag) is good velocity but with a 28" barrel!

I forgot to mention that this will be shot 100% suppressed. That's why I'm super against a 28" barrel.
You can get very good veloicty with a 26" bbl. That's what it's designed around. You can pick up additionally 20-40FPS/inch beyond that but that's about it. Go with a good 5R barrel and you'll get it out of the 24-26" barrels.

I'm going to be getting an Origin action shortly. It's a SA with either 223/224, 308, or mag bolt face. As of right now I have an AR 243, hunting rifle in 260, target rifle in 260, 7mm Wby, 300WM, 338WM, and 338LM. Currently 7mm, 300, and 338WM are for sale. I'm trying to decide what I should build with this action. I had originally thought of a short, light weight hunter, but I don't really want to spend the $$ for a Proof. So then I'm back to a hunting/steel rifle. I'm in the north central US. Hunting would be deerish size game and smaller. 0-400yds. Ive been kicking around the idea of a 20"ish 6Creed, 260, 6BR, and 6.5PRC.

Any others I should think about?
What about the 300 PRC?

If you don't want to reload, I'd go 6.5 PRC, but won't do much more than your .260s you already have. Maybe wait for the 300 PRC to come out to give you that step up cartridge to replace the 3 you are selling? Hornady has been pretty successful with their recent ammo offerings and rifle companies jumping on board. Or if you want to stay with the smaller rounds, 6mm Creed is pretty cool little round with great ballistics.

If you don't want to reload, I'd go 6.5 PRC, but won't do much more than your .260s you already have. Maybe wait for the 300 PRC to come out to give you that step up cartridge to replace the 3 you are selling? Hornady has been pretty successful with their recent ammo offerings and rifle companies jumping on board. Or if you want to stay with the smaller rounds, 6mm Creed is pretty cool little round with great ballistics.
Shooting factory ammo he's still gaining 150-200fps over the .260 also shooting factory loads.

Enough gain to make a difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.