New build ..windage issue

I have used the Burris signature Z rings to help solve one of these. Please note that the plastic ring insert sleeves are not exactly precision machined. 20 thou is a suggestion not actual. You may have to swap inserts around and play with the system to get the results you want. Don't give up.

I use the Leupold rear adjustable bases....much easier than the cost of a gunsmith...and definitely need to know if the barrel is in alignment....
Hate watching ford trucks drive down the road sideways with the rear end 4" or 6" off to the side.....and yes that means the truck is in need of severe service....it isn't designed to go down the road sideways no matter what ford tells you.......its called 4 wheel alignment....and starts with the rear axle being aligned with the frame...then the front end aligned.......same as your rifle receiver and then the barrel.....

If you are zeroed, don't sweat it. Dial for elevation, hold for windage.
Take one of your scopes on a good shooting rifle and run the windage all the way left or right. Then do a tall target test. You probably won't like the results. Just something I picked up the hard way. YMMV with your scope. Or maybe I shoot cheaper scopes lol.

Take one of your scopes on a good shooting rifle and run the windage all the way left or right. Then do a tall target test. You probably won't like the results. Just something I picked up the hard way. YMMV with your scope. Or maybe I shoot cheaper scopes lol.

I've read about this problem . that when the scope windage is way off to one side it will limit the amount of elevation . it was explained like this , when the windage is centered you have full travel of the elevation . as you are reaching the edge of the windage travel the elevation can not move it's full travel . I guess you could think of a diamond on it's side being the scope adjustment area . kind of like this <::::> kind of hard for me to try an explain .

Round tube adjusting inside the round scope tube. Tall target test sometimes shows a curve at either end of the vertical adjustment. ( or )
May be different on full left or full right. Or may just quit moving point of impact as you keep cranking elevation. I try to install my scopes close to center and buy better scopes in my now so I don't see this problem as much.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts