New build barrel length

I have a 7-08 with 18 1/2" bbl... I lopped it off from 25" bit by bit. Wish I had stopped chopping at 22". My other one is 22" and it handles superbly.

You would've liked it at that length if it was a 308 for bush hunting.

The shorter they are, the louder that muzzle blast seems, and the less muzzle weight for aiming stability.

I think 20 and 1:8 twist for the bullet weights you plan to use is fine.

But...if it were me...I would choose a stiff, high quality 16.5" barrel with a threaded muzzle (for a linear comp) and a 1:7 twist to handle heavier bullets should you choose to use them at some point. Especially if you are planning on shooting under 300 yards most or nearly all the time, which it sounds like you are.

There's still plenty of velocity and energy with that barrel length. No it's not "efficient" nor the proscribed "optimal" length for the round, but IMO the benefits outweigh protocol. The new SiG Cross doesn't come in 7-08, but if you aren't wed to the round, you can get one in 6.5cm (18" brl) or 308 (16" brl) - and I'd suggest just buying it and be done. [No, I do not work for Sig nor have any financial interest in the firm - I just like to recognize good design, and the Cross scratches my itch (light weight, short barrel, folding stock).]

I had a custom rifle with a 18" 308 and a 1:10 twist, with an AI folding stock, and shot Lapua Scenar 155gr ammo in it. Supersonic past 1000 yards even with that "short" barrel. Plenty good enough for all NA medium game and even longer range mountain shots.

As always, choose the right optic, ensure proper shot placement and practice, practice, practice.

Last edited:
I went with 20" on a #2 Rock barrel
for my custom 7-08 in a McMillan with Edge fill. Balances great, light weight, and really accurate. No regrets for me.

go twenty and use a linear comp to push sound away. Ive completely went away from brakes on all but my Lapua and Ultra Mag. Linear comps for me push the sound down range rather then all the blast right at end of barrel. I have a 14.5 in AR in 6.5 grendel that was horrible to shoot before the linear comp now its my go to deer rifle in the woods.

Myself I'd go with a 24". If you want to shorten it later, then you can. 24" is very manageable in the woods and gives some extra velocity.
Here is a 7-08 I built with a 25" kreiger.

Attachments

• NEWFROMPHONE 049.jpg
    NEWFROMPHONE 049.jpg
    559.9 KB · Views: 96
  • NEWFROMPHONE 047.jpg
    NEWFROMPHONE 047.jpg
    380.3 KB · Views: 110
Do these Linear Comps reduce recoil, or just redirect muzzle blast forward ?

Thanks
I dont think the recoil mitigation is huge but the sonic blast being pushed away is very noticeable. I have them on everything i can now up to 28 Cal. I just hate getting the muzzle blast of a short barrel and it seems to push blast down range

Why an 8 twist 7mm? The projectiles you want to shoot are fine in a 10 twist the 8 is for 195/197s. Just get a 9 twist its generally the factory twist for most 7mms. And a 20" is fine in a 7mm08 i have one for my son.
If they won't make a short barrel in the correct twist look at benchmark call Ron and ask about there cut rifled carbon wrapped barrels. I think you will be surprised on service, quality, price and the ability to choose twist and profile plus chose from 18 to 27"

Last edited:
I am just finishing up a similar project. I am in the process of getting a suppressor and wanted a short/light rifle to put it on and still be reasonably handy. I went with a 21" Carbon six sendero profile with a 5/8-24 Muzzle thread. Weighs 39.7 oz. I put an area 419 Hellfire adapter on it to be able to use a break, suppressor or Linear Comp without needing tools. Area 419 just came out with Their linear comp that works with the hellfire system and it really calms down the blast and flash on my 16" 6.5 Grendel and 10" 300 Blackout. Almost all of my rifles have hellfire adapters now so I will be able to have one of each muzzle device/ suppressor and be able to use any one of them on any rifle. Really slick system.

8 twist and a 140 AH would still give great velocity I'd think. Go fast twist so you can shoot a variety of bullets.

Shorter the better! I'm currently building an 18.5"creedmoor but plan on running a suppressor when I finally get my hands on one

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.