New Borden Bigfoot action review and info

rpierce

Official LRH Sponsor
Figured I would throw a post up with info on the new Borden Accuracy Bigfoot actions. They are optimized for the big lapua/norma magnum cases.

They are the straightest actions Ive seen so far and the best option for the norma/norma improved/ and lapua cases.

They have a 1.400 OD so as to have more meat between the OD and the 1.125x18 threads.

They have a .750 diameter bolt with taller lugs than 1.062 thread actions. This will help with lug setback. Theres a certain action out there with extremely small lugs that gave me .0015 lug setback in just 200 rounds. So it does make a difference.

Integral recoil lug

20 or 30 moa rail with two pins and four 8-40 screws. The rail fit to the action leaves no room for bedding its that well made. The pin to rail to action fit is perfect. It would be very difficult to remove the rail after its pinned to the action. That good of a fit.

Comes timed for Triggertech triggers and has .250+ firing pin travel

Comes with nitride treated body and bolt.

Fit and finish is second to none. Great job Jim and the rest of the crew.

Theyre instock. I also have package deals for them with all components supplied. Manners EH1's on the shelf for em also. Take em to your local gunsmith.

Dealer discounts available on parts.

www.piercisionrifles.com

Attachments

• borden action.jpg
    borden action.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 68
  • eh1.jpg
    eh1.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 58
What Mag box length are the Manners stocks set up for?
Excuse my ignorance, but have been tossing up between one of these or the Denali.
Do you think the 33XC would be better suited to the Denali or is the repeater going to work?

Cheers.

The manners are setup for m5 inlets. theyll accept a hawkins m5 bdl or any standard m5 dbm setup. the 33xc is single shot only due to being over 4.00 COAL. I do have a single shot Bigfoot on the shelf.

The manners are setup for m5 inlets. theyll accept a hawkins m5 bdl or any standard m5 dbm setup. the 33xc is single shot only due to being over 4.00 COAL. I do have a single shot Bigfoot on the shelf.
Thanks for the reply.
If I do not go with the 33XC, as it is very close to what I run now being my 338-416 Rigby Improved 45°, it is also single shot only. Would a 338 Lapua Improved 40° or 35° be a better choice for a repeater?
Trying to get the most out of either with the 323g CNC solid I run. Will be using a 32" barrel 1:9" twist regardless of chambering.

Cheers.

Thanks for the reply.
If I do not go with the 33XC, as it is very close to what I run now being my 338-416 Rigby Improved 45°, it is also single shot only. Would a 338 Lapua Improved 40° or 35° be a better choice for a repeater?
Trying to get the most out of either with the 323g CNC solid I run. Will be using a 32" barrel 1:9" twist regardless of chambering.

Cheers.
Your best bet for a repeater is a 338 norma improved. It fits in standard magazines while being throated for the heavy bullets. The 33xc was only 125-150 fps faster than my 338 norma improved in similar barrel lengths and powders. But the 33xc was burning 30 gr more powder to do it. In my 338 norma improved with a 32" barrel I didn't hit pressure until 3100 fps with N570 and 300 gr bergers. With h1000 I didn't hit pressure until 3000 fps. A 338 lapua or improved is right at 4" when throated properly for 300 gr bergers etc. The 4" box requires modification to a receiver to handle it, some receivers wont allow it. However it leaves zero room for throat erosion etc. Whats going to happen when you fire the gun is the rounds in the mag will slam into the mag box and ding the tip of the bullet which is roughly 8" more drop at 1000 yds compared to unsmushed tips. Ive tested it multiple times. The 338 norma improved is around 3.74 when throated for heavy bullets. The detachable mag is 3.770 and the wyatts is 3.830. The wyatts has plenty of room for it. Ive came up with a solution for the bullets getting smashed. In the wyatts box I have a 3D printed plastic insert that goes into the front of the mag box. You can tap the bullet on it all day and it won't deform the bullet. Tap the bullet on the metal mag box a couple times and shes deformed. Im doing a solution for the detachable mag and should have it finalized in a week or so.

Thanks again for your reply.
You have given me ample food for thought.
Seeing as I already run a single shot, no mag box at all, just a delrin follower in the CZ550 platform, the 4.280" I run is not much different to 4"+ in another single shot platform.
Guess I will have to keep it a single shot.
I only need one shot anyway really.

Cheers.

I don't think a 323 gr CNC bullet will work in a 9.0 tw. I could be wrong though.
It is stable in my current 9" twist.
According to Litz's calculator it is right at 1.5. I didn't want to spin it fast.
We tried it in a 10" twisted Edge and it didn't stabilise at all.
I coat these in HBN and they are turned with relief grooves like a Barnes or Hammer.
I could still go 8" twist if the plan is going to have them running at about 3100fps or less. I am yet to see the velocity specs on the 33XC, but mine will do 3200fps with the coated bullets, but it has gone faster than this with a 300g OTM that was also coated.
Brass doesn't like it much though.

Cheers.

Recent Posts