.300WSM Report-2, Borden Action

victor

Attached is a continuation of the .300WSM Report with pics of the Borden's Alpine Action.

Regards,
Vic

05_BordenAction-1.jpg

06_Action-3.jpg

07_Action-2.jpg

08_Borden-Action.jpg

09_RockCreekNo3barrel.jpg

10_270chamber.jpg

300WSM Report Pic continuation-3

11_Knurledcap.jpg

12_ViasThds.jpg

21_GreenMamba12_25lbs.jpg

22_GreenM12_25lbs.jpg

23_270target.jpg

The last 3 pics are of my 270Wby with heavy fluted barrel, and pic of target. This is the rifle by which the accuracy of all my others are judged by.

Regards,
Vic

Bob,

That is the protective cap that goes over the barrel threads when the muzzle brake is removed. The cap is just a little longer then it should be.

Vic

Vic,

The reason I leave the knurled caps long is to protect the crown. The brake protects the crown when it is installed and the extended thread cap acts as a counter bore and protects the crown when it is installed. I would be more than happy to shorten the cap if you would like.

308nate

I leave the knurled caps long is to protect the crown.

Sounds like a good idea to me. I just didn't understand what I was looking at. I have been messing around for about a month now trying to figure out how to protect the crown and threads of a rifle that won't fit in the case with the brake on and I didn't get a cap for it.

Nate , did you happen to check the "square-ness" of that action?

I think that if it were me I'd be calling Borden as to the feeding troubles that this gun is having.

One things that puzzels me is that the barrel is chambered and has been threaded and crowned yet its not screwed to the action?
Was the action and barrel shippped to you from the smtih seperate?
Did you take it apart after you recieved the rifle?

I know that I once built a gun for a fellow and it shot great when it left my hands but after he got the gun their was claims that it woulden't shoot for squat , so he sent it back and I noticed that the crown was VERY shiney and their were out of round blast marks on it , SO I call the fella and ask what exactly he did to the gun and tells me that he polished the crown and chamber with a dremal tool !!!! So he then tells me that hes gonna have to get a full refund for the barrel installation charge !!!

So guys if you think their might be a problem when you get your gun call the builder before you try to fix it ,not saying that the case here just thought I'd pass that along

Hi James Jones,

This is actually a switch barrel rifle. The barrel that came attached is still attached. I did not remove it yet. I only took pics of the second barrel so you all can see what it wieghs on a scale. I won't have time to try out the second barrel until after my hunt in Sept.

As for the feeding from the magazine, I don't think it is something that can be fixed other than by using a smaller diameter cartridge. In other words I believe it is inherent to all the WSM's due to the short fat case. I have read about this issue before hand, but didn't pay that much attention to it. Now I see exactly what people have been referring to. When I cycle my .243 or .308, the loaded shells strip from the magazine cleanly and empty brass flies out cleanly. With the WSM, it just is not smooth and you really have to pay attention to get it to feed and eject. It's definitely not as smooth as conventional cartridges by any means. It doesn't have anything to do with the Borden action. The action is tight and smooth.

Nate, as for the extra threads on the end of the cap, no worries, it would have looked better to have the threads protrude only .005 past the end of the barrel, but I'm not really looking at that end to the barrel, and it has nothing to do with function, so it's fine with me. I think you did a great job on the rifle.

As for the accuracey, as I said I'm still working on it. I'm simply posting my results honestly. I am showing you guys the results as they really are, not just showing the best groups only. Sam Spade purchased a Savage in .300WSM and I see his groups are one ragged hole. He told me that he developed that load with IMR4007 powder. That is what I am trying to get a hold of right now, for further testing.

I hope others will have found this information insightful.

Best regards,
Vic

Borden Feeding Problems

Fellow Shooters,

I stand corrected on the magazine capacity of the Wyatt box. It is designed for 2 cartridges, not 3. However, I am still having probelms with my feeding and extraction.
But I want you all to know that Jim Borden has assured me that he will solve this feeding problem for me. I have been communicating with him and he assures me that the WSM rounds should be feeding and ejecting smoothly and that none of the actions in his shop are exhibiting the anomolies that I am experienceing. I will be sending him my whole rifle so he can analyze the situation and resolve it.

I will keep you posted on the results.

Best regards,
Vic

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.