New barrels => new or SAAMI reamer?

jrock

Official LRH Sponsor
LRH Sponsor
I want to true up some factory guns I have in the cabinet and would rather replace the barrels than set them back a factory one with half it's life gone. Guns are chambered in common calibers and I'm wondering if ordering a custom reamer (turning necks and throating for heavy bullets) for each would be worth it over renting SAAMI reamers? I already turn my brass.

It doesn't seem to be worth the added cost based on accuracy and I hear more people say that the quality of the barrel is more important than the chamber clearances.

Yes, you guess correctly and I did for a Norma Mag build I'm working on but want to know if it's really worth it for common calibers?

IMO, jrock, it's worth it for any caliber - unless of course all you're only going to use the rifle for is an occasional hunting experience. If you shoot less than a hundred rounds a year it's probably more cost effective to use factory ammo in a SAMMI spec. rifle. But you're not likely to ever get the one ragged hole accuracy that some of us demand using that method.

Thanks for the reply. I guess you can do more work with a glove that fits right than one that is too big. :D

If you are just starting to chamber, I would recommend not getting tricky with reamer dimensions and just go with SAMMI spec. reamers. You would be amazed at the possible accuracy with SAMMI chambers if they are cut right and fed good ammo.

Setting back and cutting a new chamber is a good way to freshen up a good shooting rifle, but the cost is almost the same as re-barreling. So unless the rifle is a good shooter re-barreling is normally the best approach.

I also don't recommend renting the reamer. To many chances of it being poor and ruining a great barrel. Reamers are not that much more to buy and if you plan on doing more chambers, you have a good start on tooling that can/will be used in the future. (I loaned one out to a good friend, and had to send it back to Manson to have it re-sharpened).

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Thanks JE. I was only thinking about matching a chamber to my hand loads not using them on guns that would only shoot factory ammo (where the SAAMI spec reamer would be of use). More food for thought.

Thanks JE. I was only thinking about matching a chamber to my hand loads not using them on guns that would only shoot factory ammo (where the SAAMI spec reamer would be of use). More food for thought.

You are welcome.

Just a comment, After many years of chambering wild cats and creating some I have found it much easier to make the ammo match the chamber than the other way around.

I have also built matching rifles (That shoot the same ammo and use the same dies) one would be a hunting rifle and the other a match rifle. This is difficult to say the least. SAMMI spec. Chambers are designed to use many different brands of ammo and re-loads "safely". When reloaded ammo is used in SAMMI chambers it can be tailored to your likes (Trimmed, Turned, sized, bumped, ETC). without problems. and accuracy can be just as good.

When getting off into modified, altered, wildcat, special chambers, there can be problems that cause grief and I just try to keep people out of trouble if I can.

Good luck and have fun.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.