New Barrel

speedgun

I recently had a new barrel manufactured and installed on my Remington 700 from a well known barrel company. I also had them perform some basic machine work on my receiver, as well as install a larger, machined recoil lug. While I own and do basic gun work on quite a few rifles, this is the first time I have had a gun rebarreled.
After receiving the barreled action, I fitted it to it's stock, which required minor inletting and bedded the recoil lug. I then ran several patches of Hoppes through the barrel, and got the bore scope out to look at the barrel.
It seems to me that the bore is extremely rough and the rifling is certainly not crisp or consistent. The barrel looks like it needs a severe polishing, there are places that you can see chattering, pitting and the rifling just looks terrible. What is a new barrel supposed to look like inside? Will the barrel smooth out after break in, otherwise I think it's going to very hard to clean.

I recently had a new barrel manufactured and installed on my Remington 700 from a well known barrel company. I also had them perform some basic machine work on my receiver, as well as install a larger, machined recoil lug. While I own and do basic gun work on quite a few rifles, this is the first time I have had a gun rebarreled.
After receiving the barreled action, I fitted it to it's stock, which required minor inletting and bedded the recoil lug. I then ran several patches of Hoppes through the barrel, and got the bore scope out to look at the barrel.
It seems to me that the bore is extremely rough and the rifling is certainly not crisp or consistent. The barrel looks like it needs a severe polishing, there are places that you can see chattering, pitting and the rifling just looks terrible. What is a new barrel supposed to look like inside? Will the barrel smooth out after break in, otherwise I think it's going to very hard to clean.
You might want to address this issue directly with them before doing anything.

Pics?

This depends on the barrel manufacturer. Some are professional and will be willing to help you while others function on pure profit and will simply defend their process and quality.

But the proper way of handling your problem is to actually contact the manufacturer for discussion. They should want to get that barrel back for examination. Just be sure to get some good borescope pictures to back up what you sent to them.

Best of Luck!

:)

The first thing to do is see if it shoots well enough to meet your expectations. Using a bore scope can lead on to think the barrel will never work well ...... except it does work well.
Respectfully disagree. An aftermarket barrel should be free, or almost free of tooling marks, and should have a mirror like finish, and the scope can tell you with the land and grooves are concentric or not. That is more crucial than having tooling marks. I had an issue two years ago with PVA and I did not fire them and I scoped and took pictures. I was able to get my money back because I had this evidence and I used my credit card, and I also got three other reputable gunsmiths and barrel makers to tell me that the barrels were not done properly

I have a few cut-rifled, and one-button rifled aftermarket barrels. The cut rifled looks like a surgical instrument, and the button has minor tool marks. They all shoot very well. The button-rifled from Larue Tactical is on my AR-15, and it shoots 3/4 MOA and occasionally under.