New barrel on my Pre 64 Winchester Model 70

pgothro

Well, my barrel is shot out on my Pre 64 Model 70, Chambered in .264 WM I have a large quantity of new brass and a great deal of work with this caliber. I just don't know if I should stay with the 1:9 twist as it has loves 140gr and 120gr bullets. I have also loaded 100gr. and up to 160gr. with great results also. I have thought of moving to a 1:8 or 1:7.5 but the newer bullets used in the 6.5 Creedmore don't give me much and I have a new custom .300WM that shoots everything from 165gr. - 230gr. and a .243 below it. While I want great accuracy 1/2 MOA it is a hunting rifle.

Thanks for your comments

I just built another 264WM, it has a 29.5" 1:8" twist, lapped premium barrel in stainless.
There is definitely no downside to going with a faster twist, with 8" you can shoot the Berger 156g bullets without issue, so what's not to like?
If it were me, I would just go the faster twist because it doesn't affect shooting the lighter weights any.

Cheers.

I'd definitely go with an 8 twist. The 1/9s can be hit or miss with the 140 and up bullets. The 264 is a great caliber. If you have the components, might as well stick with it. Decide which bullet you think you want and have it throated for that. Make the most of case capacity and available magazine length.

If you'll be shooting 140 and up vld type bullets, the 8 twist is what you'll want. If you'll be shooting bullets with a more standard shape, the 9 is just fine.

Well, my barrel is shot out on my Pre 64 Model 70, Chambered in .264 WM I have a large quantity of new brass and a great deal of work with this caliber. I just don't know if I should stay with the 1:9 twist as it has loves 140gr and 120gr bullets. I have also loaded 100gr. and up to 160gr. with great results also. I have thought of moving to a 1:8 or 1:7.5 but the newer bullets used in the 6.5 Creedmore don't give me much and I have a new custom .300WM that shoots everything from 165gr. - 230gr. and a .243 below it. While I want great accuracy 1/2 MOA it is a hunting rifle.

Thanks for your comments
Have you given any thought to a Polygonal 1-8" twist barrel... say in a 27" or 28" barrel? Just a thought. Cheers

Apparently if the bullet yawns at all it's worse with faster barrels? And also you would probably need to clean it more often.as it will foul faster.
Shoot the little ones with the Creed.
Rebarrel with a 8twt, and make it a
6.5/7Prc. Shorter case ,same capacity and the 156's fit very nicely.
Mines being shipped as I'm writing this. 👌

Last edited:

Thanks for your comments
Go to a 7T and shoot the 135 gr SBD2, .7 g1 bc.

I shoot 156 Bergers at 3100 with 8133.. Near or far, it doesn't matter.
blacktail1.jpg
fall bear.jpg