New barrel for Savage LRH? Speculate for me.

entoptics

As the title states, I'm contemplating a new barrel for my 300 Win LRH. My skill and attention to detail have potentially outpaced this rifle, not to mention I'm already ≥600 rounds into my second barrel (factory replaced...I think...long story...). I'm not set on anything, as the rifle is accurate enough to kill anything I want at ranges where 2000 ftlbs and 2000 fps still apply. I just like to shoot small things far away, and in that regard, it's not up to snuff. It's averaging around 1.25 MOA out to about 500 yds, but 3/4 MOA "all day long" sure sounds nice...

Two main questions...

1) At ~$550 for a McGowen (presumably similar for other brands), is it foolhardy to think a new barrel is better than a new rifle?

I really like the overall package on my rifle as she sits. The trigger is exceptional, and the action is solid and smooth. The stock is pretty dang good for my purposes too, and the scratches/pealing/grubbiness are hard earned badges. At the same time, I could probably find a similar setup, brand new, for only a couple bills more than a new custom barrel. With ~2000 rounds on the action, perhaps it's time to move on?

2) If you were to spec out a barrel, what would you choose?

Rules are...
A) $550 or so. Less is better obviously.
B) Heavy sporter weight. I'm not willing to add more than a few ounces to the current weight.
C) Stainless
D) Muzzle break
E) 26-27" max length.
F) "Custom chamber". Savage has a short *** magazine at 3.5". I'd want a new barrel reamed to allow me to reload closer to the lands than I currently can. I'm 0.2" away with my favorite bullets now.

Links to manufacturers websites, other discussion threads, product reviews, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I'm not hell bent on doing anything right now, but figured I'd research it out and see where it leads.

Speculate away!

As the title states, I'm contemplating a new barrel for my 300 Win LRH. My skill and attention to detail have potentially outpaced this rifle, not to mention I'm already ≥600 rounds into my second barrel (factory replaced...I think...long story...). I'm not set on anything, as the rifle is accurate enough to kill anything I want at ranges where 2000 ftlbs and 2000 fps still apply. I just like to shoot small things far away, and in that regard, it's not up to snuff. It's averaging around 1.25 MOA out to about 500 yds, but 3/4 MOA "all day long" sure sounds nice...

Two main questions...

1) At ~$550 for a McGowen (presumably similar for other brands), is it foolhardy to think a new barrel is better than a new rifle?

I really like the overall package on my rifle as she sits. The trigger is exceptional, and the action is solid and smooth. The stock is pretty dang good for my purposes too, and the scratches/pealing/grubbiness are hard earned badges. At the same time, I could probably find a similar setup, brand new, for only a couple bills more than a new custom barrel. With ~2000 rounds on the action, perhaps it's time to move on?

Rules are...
B) Heavy sporter weight. I'm not willing to add more than a few ounces to the current weight.
C) Stainless
D) Muzzle break
E) 26-27" max length.
F) "Custom chamber". Savage has a short *** magazine at 3.5". I'd want a new barrel reamed to allow me to reload closer to the lands than I currently can. I'm 0.2" away with my favorite bullets now.

Links to manufacturers websites, other discussion threads, product reviews, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I'm not hell bent on doing anything right now, but figured I'd research it out and see where it leads.

Speculate away!

Just to speculate...:)

With your .535" bolt head...

Run a 270 Wby...shoot 170 Bergers @ 3225fps or 130s close to 3600fps...

Brass is everywhere and you do not have to fire form...

Steep shoulder and a long neck cartridge...may be longer barrel life...

Just to speculate...:)

With your .535" bolt head...

Run a 270 Wby...shoot 170 Bergers @ 3225fps or 130s close to 3600fps...

Brass is everywhere and you do not have to fire form...

Steep shoulder and a long neck cartridge...may be longer barrel life...

Just checked my drop charts on my 270 Wby/ 170 Berger...2000 ft/lbs energy is at 825 yards...crosses 2000 fps @1125 yrds...

I'd consider a Criterion 300wm match chamber from Northlan Shooter's Supply. You can order it with a brake. I have one on a 7mm Remage I built and once the barrel broke in it is really accurate! You can install the barrel yourself and then it's a real "badge of honor" because you built it. Nothing wrong with McGowen either.

Hehe, I've already done the "ideal cartridge" math, and 300 Win Mag is my choice. My knowledge/brass/dies/bullets/powder/etc is too deep an investment to switch, and I know enough about it for my situation to not want to switch.

I do have 150 nice brass that my mom's boyfriend bought a decade ago in 264 win mag. I bought dies as an X-mas present to him a few years ago, and loaded him up 50 rounds for his pre-64 M70. He's nearly burned up the barrel since...OK...He shot about 20 of them and put it back in the safe...

I would do a 300 Win just because I'm already tooled up for it.
As far as barrels, I would do a Varmint contour 1-8.5" twist.

But then again, 30 Nosler is sexy..

If your limited to 3.5" oal then why not a WSM? If you load a 300win to 3.5" your probably going to come very close or beat it with a 300wsm loaded long?

And you could probably pick any of the savage prefit barrel companies and be good.

Saw "300 Win Mag Match" as a barrel reamer option couple places. How is that different than regular old 300 Win Mag?
The 300wm match has a slightly longer chamber to accomodate the longer bullets. After reading your original post, maybe it isn't for you. I'm shooting 208's in my 300wm, not shure what you are planning on running.

If your limited to 3.5" oal then why not a WSM? If you load a 300win to 3.5" your probably going to come very close or beat it with a 300wsm loaded long?

And you could probably pick any of the savage prefit barrel companies and be good.
His 300wm is a small shank!
He can not go with 300wsm from most prefit barrel manufacturers because thay will not chamber a WSM cartridge in a small shank. I've tried.

Two main questions...

Rules are...
C) Stainless
D) Muzzle break
E) 26-27" max length.

Speculate away!

Pretty sure that the Criterion Light Varmin/Heavy Sporter contour in 24" is an exact match in dimensions and weight to the OEM barrel for your rifle and will fit your stock channel. This is the case with the 6.5x284 LRH. The Criterion is an accurate barrel.

Last edited:
The 300wm match has a slightly longer chamber to accomodate the longer bullets. After reading your original post, maybe it isn't for you. I'm shooting 208's in my 300wm, not shure what you are planning on running.

I'll definitely be shooting the heavier bullets (208 and 212 ELDs are my favorites), but as you deduced, my short magazine means short OAL. I currently run everything at 3.490". I get good velocities (2850 - 2950 fps, 26" bbl) and pressures with 200+ gr bullets, with slightly compressed H1000 or Retumbo loads, and accuracy is OK. Would be nice to have a chamber that would allow seating much closer to the lands than I can currently, without single loading, so the "Match" chamber is unlikely to be ideal.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.