New Barrel, .300 WM or .300 PRC

Here is the 375 Ultra mag .
He needs a few things to finnish it up .
IMG_20191105_160931833(1).jpg
McGowan did a great job on the Barrel !
I cant wait to get behind this one .

Rum Man

One thing to consider is that the M77 has a very short magazine (3.400") that's not easily lengthened. A SAAMI spec PRC or a Win Mag loafed with high BC Bullets will likely have to be a single shot.

A different idea would be to go with a WSM. Using it in a long action would allow you to use any bullet you want and have it throated however you want. A WSM loaded to 3.200" gives up very little to a Win Mag/PRC loaded to 3.400".

As far as McGowen barrels go, I've had a bunch of them and they always shoot well. Most have landed somewhere around .3 MOA.
I never even thought about the WSM's, I had them written off before even giving them a chance.

I'm kind of thinking about leaving the .30's alone for awhile, and going for another .284.

Thank you! I'm sorry to sound like a noob. I'm not new, just always hung my hat on belted mags.
Hopefully the website will help you make your decision. The Sherman Short Mags are far more efficient than the belted magnums and with brass, dies, reamers, and soon loaded ammo, they really aren't even wildcats anymore.

Hopefully the website will help you make your decision. The Sherman Short Mags are far more efficient than the belted magnums and with brass, dies, reamers, and soon loaded ammo, they really aren't even wildcats anymore.
May shoot you some PM's too.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.