New AR15

tbrice23

So, forever I've owned Lr308s and Lr260 or some variant configuration. I will be using this rifle for coyotes target/practice.The smallest cartridge I have ever owned is a 6BR and have always wanted a light AR15 and I have my eyes on a ;

DPMS Prairie Panther HBAR fluted, SS 1:8 twist 20" barrel, match 2 stage trigger, 7.1 lb for $995.
Or
Dpms TPR tactical precision, mid-weight SS bead blasted 1:9 twist 20" bbl, factory 2stage trigger, 7.75 lb for $837.

My pick is the Prairie Panther because of 11 oz lighter and better trigger but $158 price difference would go a long way on a Geissele or Timney trigger.

Can anyone help me decide, any info is welcome.

Of those two I'd go with the Panther it's chambered in 223 Rem the TPR is a NATO chamber. I love to build them myself their like Lego's for men.

The rifle will shoot 100% hand loaded ammo.
In that case wouldn't I rather have the NATO chamber??

But Id like a 1:8 twist better than a 1:9 though.

Theoretically the .223 chamber should be more accurate.

Only reason for the 5.56 chamber is to shoot cheap bulk ammo or in the survivalist scenario

I have done the 223 thing and moved on to the grendel and it's wildcat cousins

Take a look at the grendel if you want the most performance possible from the ar15 platform.

I have a few hbar ar15's. Great bench guns but not practical for.anything else. My favorite right now is a grendel with an 18" JP lightweight barrel. Gun weighs just over 7#. Won't shoot 1/4" groups like my 6mm AR turbo 40 with its 26" Kraiger barrel but it will put 10 shots in a group less than an inch and is a pleasure to carry.

So, forever I've owned Lr308s and Lr260 or some variant configuration. I will be using this rifle for coyotes target/practice.The smallest cartridge I have ever owned is a 6BR and have always wanted a light AR15 and I have my eyes on a ;

DPMS Prairie Panther HBAR fluted, SS 1:8 twist 20" barrel, match 2 stage trigger, 7.1 lb for $995.
Or
Dpms TPR tactical precision, mid-weight SS bead blasted 1:9 twist 20" bbl, factory 2stage trigger, 7.75 lb for $837.

My pick is the Prairie Panther because of 11 oz lighter and better trigger but $158 price difference would go a long way on a Geissele or Timney trigger.

Can anyone help me decide, any info is welcome.

DPMS is junk. Seen too many of them with issues over the years. I wouldn't buy one, based on my experiences with friends' rifles, and other people's rifles I've helped fix and diagnose over the years. I'm not a pro, but I've seen a lot of them with accuracy and extraction and ignition issues.

Don't cheap-out for a precision rifle. Look towards the higher-end...Noveske, Rainier Arms, LWRC, BCM, etc...

Like was mentioned...For precision, LR, and DMR, the 6.5 Grendel is an exceptional round. I have a 24" that I built back in 2015.

Don't take this as me hating... I'm just trying to save you some headache and money in the long-run.

Last edited:
I wouldn't buy a $900 AR in any case.
The barrel is STILL a DPMS barrel.
Either go high end like $2500 and up like Mudrunner said OR buy a $500 AR, put a trigger in it, add a REAL BARREL and be in it for $1100 or so with a barrel that will actually shoot.
$900 ARs are silly to me. Slightly better furniture for $400? HUH? I have several no name ARs with $69 triggers in them that will hang with the mid level $1000 guns all day long. Add a real barrel and they will slaughter any mid level gun out there.

I have a dpms 308 with 16'' barrel that has been great, it is over gased but I will be adding an adjustable gas block soon. It shoots GMM about .75moa. Even out to 400yd which is as far as I have shot it. Shoots cheap steel case 1.5'' at 100yds give or take a .25." 0 failures.

But for $1000 you could probably build a better one.

I have a dpms 308 with 16'' barrel that has been great, it is over gased but I will be adding an adjustable gas block soon. It shoots GMM about .75moa. Even out to 400yd which is as far as I have shot it. Shoots cheap steel case 1.5'' at 100yds give or take a .25." 0 failures.

But for $1000 you could probably build a better one.

I bought a DPMS 308 years ago and I definitely needed an adjustable gas block. JP make good ones I have a couple of different ones.

I've been looking around and saw a Burris Mtac, looking through it, it looks like a nice scope with a great reticle and it has the 30mm tube. I was thinking about getting it or maybe a leupold AR in 3x9. Only thing I didn't like about the leupold was the turrets, they don't have much going for them, but they seem to work well. Does anyone have any experience with these two scopes?

I have two of the luepold Mark AR in 6-18 and like them a lot. I just picked up a Burris Mtac 4.5-14 for my kid for Christmas so I don't have any trigger time behind that one yet. So far I like the Burris it has covered knobs so for hunting situations that's a big plus because they can't get accidentally spun. The luepold I use 95% of the time off of a bench so the exposed knobs are nice and repeatable. Optics clarity seems about the same. Luepold offers the Aluminum covers at about $80 a set the Burris will need to be measured for a set of Butler Creek caps for $20 a set. I only gave $250 for the Burris for the money I think it's a great scope so far. I'm sure my 13 year old kid will love it.

DPMS is junk. Seen too many of them with issues over the years. I wouldn't buy one, based on my experiences with friends' rifles, and other people's rifles I've helped fix and diagnose over the years. I'm not a pro, but I've seen a lot of them with accuracy and extraction and ignition issues.

Don't cheap-out for a precision rifle. Look towards the higher-end...Noveske, Rainier Arms, LWRC, BCM, etc...

Like was mentioned...For precision, LR, and DMR, the 6.5 Grendel is an exceptional round. I have a 24" that I built back in 2015.

Don't take this as me hating... I'm just trying to save you some headache and money in the long-run.

yes, join the darkside. 6.5G :cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.