New AR Cartridge

Ive had an itch to scratch concerning the AR-15. I hunt anything that moves, mainly varmints, pigs, and deer. I love me a good bolt action but I was wanting something in the AR for that quick follow up shot. The caliber I really wanted was the 22-250AI but sadly it's too long for an AR-15 and for an AR-10 im looking at a 13 lb gun total weight. So I started looking into AR calibers. I wanted something with more umph than a 5.56 (still a great round), so I settled on a 22 nosler. When reloading I could not get more than 2 shots out of my brass no matter what load or gas block or buffer system. So back to the drawing board I went. I use a 6.8 SPC II with a thermal for pig hunting and that is what the 22 Nosler is based off of. So I went to quickreloader after designing a case based off of the 6.8 and the 22 SPC is now born. Yes there has been other rounds based off of the 6.8 such as the 22 PDK but I could find very little info about it.

Based off of what quickreloader is telling me, (reamer from Manson will be ready in June as well as custom 24"barrel) I should push a 77 gr barnes LRX around 3350 fps and a 70 gr Cavity back bullet 3400ish fps. A FACTORY 22-250 is around 3250 fps. Which means this round theoretically is achieving 22-250 velos and energy with 10 grains of powder less.

Now I do understand I will never achieve 22-250AI numbers as I physically do not have enough powder to do so. From talking to others who have used quick reloader it seems it can be around 5% off in either direction so it will be in the ballpark of 3200-3500 fps which could possibly be creeping up on the AI numbers.

Now if this cartridge performs the way the numbers and I believe it can and it takes off what are the chances that I could pitch it to a company to produce it?

Ive had an itch to scratch concerning the AR-15. I hunt anything that moves, mainly varmints, pigs, and deer. I love me a good bolt action but I was wanting something in the AR for that quick follow up shot. The caliber I really wanted was the 22-250AI but sadly it's too long for an AR-15 and for an AR-10 im looking at a 13 lb gun total weight. So I started looking into AR calibers. I wanted something with more umph than a 5.56 (still a great round), so I settled on a 22 nosler. When reloading I could not get more than 2 shots out of my brass no matter what load or gas block or buffer system. So back to the drawing board I went. I use a 6.8 SPC II with a thermal for pig hunting and that is what the 22 Nosler is based off of. So I went to quickreloader after designing a case based off of the 6.8 and the 22 SPC is now born. Yes there has been other rounds based off of the 6.8 such as the 22 PDK but I could find very little info about it.

Based off of what quickreloader is telling me, (reamer from Manson will be ready in June as well as custom 24"barrel) I should push a 77 gr barnes LRX around 3350 fps and a 70 gr Cavity back bullet 3400ish fps. A FACTORY 22-250 is around 3250 fps. Which means this round theoretically is achieving 22-250 velos and energy with 10 grains of powder less.

Now I do understand I will never achieve 22-250AI numbers as I physically do not have enough powder to do so. From talking to others who have used quick reloader it seems it can be around 5% off in either direction so it will be in the ballpark of 3200-3500 fps which could possibly be creeping up on the AI numbers.

Now if this cartridge performs the way the numbers and I believe it can and it takes off what are the chances that I could pitch it to a company to produce it?
If you are going to discuss it on forums-- it's pretty much open source-- your best bet is to call Mark/mdws that sells the 277 wolverine --- he was doing lots of wildcat cartridges off the 6.8spc case -- you can discuss your options with him

If you are going to discuss it on forums-- it's pretty much open source-- your best bet is to call Mark/mdws that sells the 277 wolverine --- he was doing lots of wildcat cartridges off the 6.8spc case -- you can discuss your options with him
Do you have his contact?

You might have issues with with the AI type cartridges feeding from the mags. Better off with a 22 creed from an ar10.
Since it's all custom I took that into account and on the M4 Feed ramps I slightly adjusted them to accommodate the sharper shoulder angle

Recent Posts