New Allen Mag

TMR

Official LRH Sponsor
I took posession of my new 7mm AM a couple of weeks ago, but just now got around to posting the info.

Specs:

Nesika Model M action
30" Lilja 1-9 twist #8 hvy fluting
McMillan A-5 stock
NF 5.5-22x50 with MLR reticle
Jewel Trigger
HS Detachable Mag
Defensive Edge Brake

I have just mainly been forming brass, but I have done some load work.....

98.0 3237fps
99.0 3290 fps
100.0 3280 fps
101.0 3312 fps
102.0 3360 fps
103.0 3416 fps

The 102 and 103 gr loads gave a little stiff bolt lift, but not hard by any means. The 101gr load put 3 shots in a .487" outside to outside group at 100 yds. I kept shooting and thinking I was missing the target, and thinking....Man, Kirby builds a nice looking rifle and it is fast, but I can't hit the target with it. I was very happy to say the least when I got to the target. Kirby did some work with it and found very good results out to 1300+ yds in very poor conditions. This is my first rifle that I have owned that I did not build. I am very pleased and am planning the next Allen Mag build now. Hopefully this weekend I can get in some more shooting at some serious distances.

I would like to thank SS7MM for his helpful advice on this project also.

7mmAMbarrelengraving.jpg

7mmAMleft.jpg

7mmAMright.jpg

Travis

Last edited:
Travis:

Glad to see you're getting some range time with your new gun. It looks like the wait was well worth it.:):)

Don't need the stuff that was here before. You've got it now. :)

Congratulations on a great looking rifle.:):D:)

Last edited:
That is a very nice rifle.

I assume you were using H US869 powder and the 200 grain wildcats.

Hunting season is not too far away now so you won't have to wait too long.

Wow! That rig is sweet! I too was wondering if you were shooting 200gr bullets? TMR what will your next AM caliber be?

Glad your happy with your rifle, she turned out to be a hell of a shooter and I suspect she will do better for you then she did for me with the complete barrel break in.

I think some of the barrel issues we have had are starting to be worked out finally.

Keep us posted to your results. Keep that barrel cool and clean and she will behave for you for quite some time.

Not sure exactly what AM you will go with next but I suspect it may have a +145 gr powder capacity!!!:)

Kirby Allen(50)

TMR, Very Very NICE!!!!! The rifle looks awesome and it sounds like she shoots great.

Wildcat

Thanks guys....

I am using WC872 powder and the 200 Wildcat's. Kirby said he had just as good of luck with the WC872 as he did with US869. I might try some US869 just to see what she does anyway.

Kirby is right on with the next Allen Mag......It will either be the 338 AM or a 375 AM. Just waiting to see what Richard will be offering in the 375 bullets. I already have a matching McMillan stock on order and it will be based on the BAT 8.5" action. Something hopefully around 16-17lbs. Probably next years project.

TMR,

Speaking of your stock, I really like the colors. Do you remember what colors and percentages you ordered?

Thanks,
Carl

If I remember correctly, it is 50% forest green, 25% black, 25% woodland beige. I hope this is correct, it is what I ordered the next stock in also.:)

That is a cool looking rifle.

I am glad you pre ordered your next stock......the wait is killing me on a couple of projects. I do not understand how I can sit patiently on a stand all day even when I am not seeing game, but when it comes to waiting on a gun part my panties get all wadded up. To my credit I have been able to refrain from calling or emailing Kirby. I guess I have enough toys to keep me busy at the present time.

Those rifles that come out of MT sure do look nice and they shoot even better!!

No doubt you'll get lots of enjoyment out of her.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.