New .35 Whelen

Nugger

I've been looking for a new .35 Whelen and have found two on the web I like. One is a super clean Remington 700 Classic in practically perfect condition. The other is a 1903-A3 Springfield that has been rebored in .35 and cut down to 22 inches and recrowned. The owner says it gets 1 3/4 inch groups with 250 grain speer spitzers but has some very minor pitting in the bore, other than that it is clean. Both have iron sights and cost $800. What would you get and why?

I've been looking for a new .35 Whelen and have found two on the web I like. One is a super clean Remington 700 Classic in practically perfect condition. The other is a 1903-A3 Springfield that has been rebored in .35 and cut down to 22 inches and recrowned. The owner says it gets 1 3/4 inch groups with 250 grain speer spitzers but has some very minor pitting in the bore, other than that it is clean. Both have iron sights and cost $800. What would you get and why?

I'd get the remmy. Who knows the chamber spec's in the '03, and it's got a pitted bore that doesn't shoot that well to boot. The rem should be a moa rifle, and she's new enough that you won't have to worry about issues with dies and brass. I've heard some whelens made before standardization don't do well with factories as the chambers are rather long; it would make sense that issues could easily crop up.

I've got a ruger 77 hawkeye in whelen that'll put three in two inches or less at 200 yards using the 220 speer fp and rl15 with a wlr. It's been a good pipe so far; I didn't even do any L.D. with it as it was my brother's rifle. Simply load and go. I'm keeping this one in the family as my son is interested in the rifle for deer when he's old enough in a couple of years.

I'd get the remmy. Who knows the chamber spec's in the '03, and it's got a pitted bore that doesn't shoot that well to boot. The rem should be a moa rifle, and she's new enough that you won't have to worry about issues with dies and brass. I've heard some whelens made before standardization don't do well with factories as the chambers are rather long; it would make sense that issues could easily crop up.

It's been awhile but the 700 .35 Whelen I had was a decent rifle. I don't think I ever shot it for group, but it rolled the bear my brother shot with it.

I would take the Remington.I have two. One is a 7600 and the other is a classic.Both of them shoot half inch or better a 100 yards

I agree with the others, get the Remington. Those Classics are very nice rifles l.

I agree with the others, get the Remington. Those Classics are very nice rifles l.

No kidding!!! I'm still kicking myself for selling my 8mm Remington Mag 700 Classic that was NIB! Oh well. Win some, you lose some.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.