New 280 AI Build

That's cool. I'll have to check it out. I have been using BulletDrop+ and iStrelok for my ballistics apps for years, but neither of those do any target measuring. I wish they did, it would save me from downloading yet another app. LOL

The list of apps is endless anymore! haha.

Rich thanks for the info. I'll give RL26 a try with both my 180 grain and 195 grain bullets and she how she shoots. Load development is always an enjoyable process to me.
I've been looking for RL26 for months with no luck. Any advice on how to get my hands on some??

If you don't mind paying the hazmat powder valley has it, great to deal with. Get some guys together and make an order you can put 50lbs of powder and primers together then it's worth it.

Sammydog, I have not bought any RL26 yet so I haven't been paying attention to it when I was in the store. I always keep my eyes peeled for H4350 as it is rarely in stock as well. Like Sherm mentioned, online is always a decent workaround but there is the cost of shipping+hazmat as he said.

Thanks! I will look into it. May be able to get some guys together. How much is the typical haz May charge, do you know? I've been reading here and it sounds like it's awesome.

Thanks! I will look into it. May be able to get some guys together. How much is the typical haz May charge, do you know? I've been reading here and it sounds like it's awesome.

Hazmat is not bad, around $25-$30... But what sucks is that you have to pay hazmat AND shipping. I normally won't order powder & primers online, unless I'm buying in bulk to stock-up (8 lbs. of powder minimum), that way the hazmat is worth it, and when you divide it amongst all the things you buy, it's not too bad. And most times still comes out cheaper than my local store, that sells everything at retail pricing. 1lb. jugs of IMR and Hodgdon powders range from $28-32, and online they're like $20 per pound. So if I bought 8 lbs. at my local store, that's $64 more (at minimum) over the online prices, and that's almost 3 times what the Hazmat cost is, and about double of what hazmat + shipping costs... In which case I order it online to save money.

So I buy online when I can, because I actually save money over my local store's high prices. But if I happen to walk in there, and I only need like 1 or 2 jugs of Trailboss for some subsonics, or 1 or 2 jugs of H110 for pistols and .300BLK, or if they have bricks of 210M or 215M primers in stock, then I'll just pick them up while I'm already in there.

Last edited:
Powder Valley has free shipping right now for black friday deal. If you figure 25.00 on 50 lbs. that's only .50 cents a pound even at 25 lbs it's a 1.00 and there prices are lower than any LGS that I have been too.

Thank you guys! I've always just read your posts. I've never asked a question. It really is awesome that you would help me like that. I read that whole thread on RL26. I'm loading for 25-06AI, 270 wby, 280 AI, 7mm Rem, 300 WSM and 300 win. Do you think I will like it enough to buy an 8lb keg?

Thank you guys! I've always just read your posts. I've never asked a question. It really is awesome that you would help me like that. I read that whole thread on RL26. I'm loading for 25-06AI, 270 wby, 280 AI, 7mm Rem, 300 WSM and 300 win. Do you think I will like it enough to buy an 8lb keg?
If those are your cartridges, I'd give IMR 7828 SSC and IMR 7977 a try as well.

If those are your cartridges, I'd give IMR 7828 SSC and IMR 7977 a try as well.
I've never tried the 7977. I'll have to get some. I just tried my first ladder last eeek. Was my 280AI with Retumbo and the 168 gr Berger at 500 yards. The ladder was wider than it was tall. Gotta try something different. I have some 7828 SSC. Aren't you using a lot of the RL26?

I've never tried the 7977. I'll have to get some. I just tried my first ladder last eeek. Was my 280AI with Retumbo and the 168 gr Berger at 500 yards. The ladder was wider than it was tall. Gotta try something different. I have some 7828 SSC. Aren't you using a lot of the RL26?
No, I've never used any RL26. I use IMR 7828 SSC in most all of my long action cartridges. I also have loads with 7977 in some of the larger magnums, like my two 7mm STW's, .300WM, .300 Ackley, etc... I have been thinking about trying the 7977 in my 7mmRM to see if it performs better than the 7828 SSC, but that's going to be hard to beat my groups and consistency.

As Mudrunner mentioned 7828SSC performed great in my 280 AI the first time out. It has been my go to as well in my 300 wsm with 230gr Bergers.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts