Never use a SAFETY

This idea to carry an uncocked bolt rifle with the firing pin resting on a live round in the chamber is crazy.
Part of the firearms safety course in our area is to demonstrate this exact thing to new shooters.
The instructor loads an EMPTY cartridge with a live primer into the chamber and uncocks the bolt as described. He asks the class if this is a safe thing to do?

He then bangs the butt of the rifle onto the table to simulate a rifle being dropped onto the ground. The primer goes off 100% of the time.

This is fact. Try it yourself with a DUMMY round if you don't believe me.

You were referring to my comment as stupid. Yes, screw the news. They misinterpret and slant everything. Remington triggers don't work, got that as well. Also, I never once called anyone of your comments stupid and in fact if you answered my post with your second post instead of your first I would have taken you seriously and someone who has an intelligent, well constructed argument. But yet you come up with that first post--- thats a YIKES for you!!!! I'm not arguing anymore. To the OP listen to everyone's advice don't carry it like you've mentioned.

Ah, that's what you were talking about! I'll think I'll stay with my comment, as the media didn't slant the fact that the triggers were involved in many injuries and over 2 dozen deaths along with thousands of other misfires, some of which were reported to Remington that then replied to them that it was their fault, and many thousands that weren't reported because Remington kept it quiet and they had no idea they weren't the only ones with misfires. Therefore, when you said: "And lastly Remington's rule! Screw the news!" I said exactly what I still maintain and that is that it sounded like you disagreed that there was a defect. Sorry if that is not what you intended, but it's certainly the way it sounded!

Replace the triggers? Any thought how long it will take to replace 7.5 million? How much it would cost? Cheaper to market the problem away.

By comparison the Winchester Model 100 was recalled in 1990, 262,838 rifles, and they're still working on it. I've seen a couple of threads indicating the actual recall wasn't being handled in a expedient manner.

Replace the triggers? Any thought how long it will take to replace 7.5 million? How much it would cost? Cheaper to market the problem away.

By comparison the Winchester Model 100 was recalled in 1990, 262,838 rifles, and they're still working on it. I've seen a couple of threads indicating the actual recall wasn't being handled in a expedient manner.

Well the issue exists now so remington has no other alternative or option. They have to fix it. It will be a long and painful process. Marketing has failed so there's no other alternative. I didn't mean to go off topic here. I still really like remington and there's a reason why there are so many after market clones of there design. Minus triggers of course. I feel like my funny, yet somewhat true comment was taken out of context. Sorry.

Ah, that's what you were talking about! I'll think I'll stay with my comment, as the media didn't slant the fact that the triggers were involved in many injuries and over 2 dozen deaths along with thousands of other misfires, some of which were reported to Remington that then replied to them that it was their fault, and many thousands that weren't reported because Remington kept it quiet and they had no idea they weren't the only ones with misfires. Therefore, when you said: "And lastly Remington's rule! Screw the news!" I said exactly what I still maintain and that is that it sounded like you disagreed that there was a defect. Sorry if that is not what you intended, but it's certainly the way it sounded!

No, i don't disagree that theres a defect. There's a reason my Remington's use timneys and jewels. I really like remington. Sorry if I came across like there wasn't a problem bc there is.

No, i don't disagree that theres a defect. There's a reason my Remington's use timneys and jewels. I really like remington. Sorry if I came across like there wasn't a problem bc there is.

This isn't the first time that written words were taken out of context and that's a problem on the net when you're not face to face with someone discussing a subject, so I apologize for the misunderstanding since it appears we're of the same thinking on this!

IMHO Remington was slick by finally agreeing to this settlement in the class action lawsuit. They are still not admitting there is anything wrong and are requiring that people will have to join that lawsuit to get their triggers replaced if it qualifies and not all of them do. This means that a person will have to find out on their own about this settlement and inquire as to whether their rifle will be worked on, rather than a recall that would probably alert many more people. That will save Remington millons of dollars by doing this and if there are any more misfires down the line when people haven't changed the trigger Remington can say it's their fault because they didn't replace their trigger when given the chance. What is ironic to me is the fix will be to install the X Mark Pro that is presently under a big recall for poor quality control when they were made. If I had a Remington I would bite the bullet at my own expense and put one of the good aftermarket triggers in it. It will be quick to do and for a couple hundred bucks or less you're done with the problem. Changing them out should be a fairly simple task and if the owner doesn't feel they're up to it a smith can do the job and have it back pretty quick. That's my take on the situation and again I apologize for coming on a little strong, but this is a serious matter that should be treated as such. I hope everyone has a great holiday season and a Happy New Year to all!!!

Everyone has an opinion, but I don't see a point to a lot of them. The two most important rules in gun safety (and I would argue only ones that matter) are:
1.Keep your muzzle pointed in a safe direction and 2. Keep your finger outside the trigger guard until you're ready to fire. You have to break both of these rules simultaneously to have a problem.

If I'm carrying in a truck, golf cart, SXS, or slung over my shoulder, but may need to shoot quickly, it is loaded magazine, bolt closed on an empty chamber. If it is slug over my shoulder and I'm walking through brush I'll have the safety on to keep the bolt from opening. Zero chance of an accident from hitting a pothole, something catching the trigger, safety failure, etc.

If I'm sitting in a stand/blind, or stalking through an area where I expect to shoot immediately, it is gun in my hands, loaded chamber, safety on, trigger outside of the trigger guard, muzzle always pointed in a safe direction. If I trip, the safety fails as a branch hooks the trigger, etc, as long as the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction no one will be injured.

Everyone has an opinion, but I don't see a point to a lot of them. The two most important rules in gun safety (and I would argue only ones that matter) are:
1.Keep your muzzle pointed in a safe direction and 2. Keep your finger outside the trigger guard until you're ready to fire. You have to break both of these rules simultaneously to have a problem.

If I'm carrying in a truck, golf cart, SXS, or slung over my shoulder, but may need to shoot quickly, it is loaded magazine, bolt closed on an empty chamber. If it is slug over my shoulder and I'm walking through brush I'll have the safety on to keep the bolt from opening. Zero chance of an accident from hitting a pothole, something catching the trigger, safety failure, etc.

If I'm sitting in a stand/blind, or stalking through an area where I expect to shoot immediately, it is gun in my hands, loaded chamber, safety on, trigger outside of the trigger guard, muzzle always pointed in a safe direction. If I trip, the safety fails as a branch hooks the trigger, etc, as long as the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction no one will be injured.

You may not see the point to a lot of things, but the statement you made to end your first paragraph may not be true if
you're carrying a Remington with that Walker trigger and it goes off when you don't pull the trigger and the bullet ricochets off a rock and kills your buddy even when you think it's pointed in a safe direction!

You may not see the point to a lot of things, but the statement you made to end your first paragraph may not be true if
you're carrying a Remington with that Walker trigger and it goes off when you don't pull the trigger and the bullet ricochets off a rock and kills your buddy even when you think it's pointed in a safe direction!

I don't shoot Remington's, and I wouldn't carry a gun with a trigger that is known to be faulty. I also slam my rifle butts into the floor after adjusting triggers to ensure they will not release the sear. Could it still happen? Sure. But I would also argue that if it is possible to hit someone you aren't hunting with from a ricochet, your muzzle isn't pointed in a safe direction. Maybe it is something I learned from bird hunting, but if you're actually "hunting" together, as in either person may take the shot, you should be side by side with your muzzles facing away to opposite sides. If I trip and fall, the sear releases, and the bullet hits a vertical rock at the right angle so as to send a bullet directly back towards us, it is probably God's plan for one of us to go :rolleyes:

Maybe its just the logger way of thinking but I believe carrying a loaded rifle is just a unnecessary risk. Anything mechanical will fail at some point. And it always seems to happen all of a sudden without notice, it could be fine the day before and boom it no longer works.Then add the human element. I just checked one of my rifles safety with a trigger pull scale. It has a safety like a Remington 700. (TC Venture) it takes about 8 lbs to click to fire and it has a 3 lbs trigger. That's not a lot of resistance to hold back something that out puts 3000 foot pounds of muzzle energy....

I now carry my hunting rifles with an empty chamber until I see something I plan to shoot. I have lost out on jumped game because of this, but it's the safe thing to do in my book. Years ago I would carry the rifle loaded with the safety on while hunting, but I try to be super safe! I've seen and heard of way too many accidents with guns that were on safety!

just my 2 cents.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.