Never Spoil your Bird Dog!

Here's he is, didn't post for some reason.

Attachments

• IMG_4742.jpeg
    IMG_4742.jpeg
    245.6 KB · Views: 21
My Bear dog was probably the best dog I ever had, I took a cat and kitten to adopt-a-pet years ago cause they were sick. I was standing next to a cage with a puppy in it, he came up and was nipping at my coat. I asked what was he here for and they said he was up for adoption, well $90.00 later he was coming home with me along with the sick cat and kitten and some medicine.

He became my best friend, we did a little hunting and on my 15 acres I couldn't keep a cotton tail cause he was a pretty good hunter. He lived for 14 years and had cancer for the last 2 years. My dad told me to put him down when we found out he was sick. I said he's still getting around ok and doesn't seem to be hurting so not yet. It was two years later when he couldn't stand and walk I told my dad ok help me hold him while I put him down. My girlfriend was telling me to take him to the vet, I said he's my dog and taking him to the vet I was still putting him down, he's my responsibility I'll do it. We were outside and I had my pistol he was all happy like we're going hunting till I turned it to him and he just lowered his head like he knew what was coming. I miss that dog and cried like a baby dad hugged me. Tearing up now thinking about it. But life goes on and have the memories. Better to have and loved to not having at all.

Don't have a picture I can load but he looked like a bear cub when he was a puppy. He was a Chow, Labrador and Collie cross. That's how he got his name.

My Bear dog was probably the best dog I ever had, I took a cat and kitten to adopt-a-pet years ago cause they were sick. I was standing next to a cage with a puppy in it, he came up and was nipping at my coat. I asked what was he here for and they said he was up for adoption, well $90.00 later he was coming home with me along with the sick cat and kitten and some medicine.

He became my best friend, we did a little hunting and on my 15 acres I couldn't keep a cotton tail cause he was a pretty good hunter. He lived for 14 years and had cancer for the last 2 years. My dad told me to put him down when we found out he was sick. I said he's still getting around ok and doesn't seem to be hurting so not yet. It was two years later when he couldn't stand and walk I told my dad ok help me hold him while I put him down. My girlfriend was telling me to take him to the vet, I said he's my dog and taking him to the vet I was still putting him down, he's my responsibility I'll do it. We were outside and I had my pistol he was all happy like we're going hunting till I turned it to him and he just lowered his head like he knew what was coming. I miss that dog and cried like a baby dad hugged me. Tearing up now thinking about it. But life goes on and have the memories. Better to have and loved to not having at all.

Don't have a picture I can load but he looked like a bear cub when he was a puppy. He was a Chow, Labrador and Collie cross. That's how he got his name.
I had a lab/Golden Retriever mix for 16 years. Loved him like a son. I cried at night fir two weeks after. I still tear up thinking about him. Best dog I've ever had. I was solid black. His name was Jet. Jet Black.

Not a bird dog but he thinks he owns the house, bad thing is I got him from the pound as a companion for another dog that has died 16 months ago.

He has gone through some trauma too my Bear dog from years ago would get excited when you grabbed a gun, he was like we're going hunting right?

But Red will go and hide when you pull a gun out. I'm working on him slowly. It was so bad if I just pulled the air gun out he would run. I showed him with another dog it was ok, now I can at least blow off the dirt on him with the blow gun. Been trying to show him slowly that guns won't hurt him.
My Chesapeake sees my putting a rifle or shotgun in a case or even putting on camo cloths and boots he gets unhinged 😆

My puppy Cedar is definitely spoiled, she got a pup cup for her first birthday yesterday and the good job she did on her hunting training the day before.

I will admit as my first puppy and the first dog I've ever trained I was hesitant to jump right into the birds as I didn't want to accidentally ruin her due to my inexperience. Turns out I had nothing to worry about as she is absolutely crazy for birds and has no concerns about locating the scent, focusing on the bird, tracking them through cover and chasing them down through whatever obstacles they travel over.

Additionally she did a stellar job of retrieving the birds, when she was younger she would clamp down on bumpers, run past me then sometime do hot laps around the yard with them. She did exactly none of that and brought the birds right to me and would either hold them until I grabbed them or dropped them at my feet.

She has a couple more classes scheduled to work up to shooting over her but I have to admit I'm pretty proud of her and thoroughly looking forward to hunting with her next year.
View attachment 562547View attachment 562548View attachment 562549View attachment 562550
View attachment 562581
Can't resist those eyes.

Not a bird dog but he thinks he owns the house, bad thing is I got him from the pound as a companion for another dog that has died 16 months ago.

He has gone through some trauma too my Bear dog from years ago would get excited when you grabbed a gun, he was like we're going hunting right?

But Red will go and hide when you pull a gun out. I'm working on him slowly. It was so bad if I just pulled the air gun out he would run. I showed him with another dog it was ok, now I can at least blow off the dirt on him with the blow gun. Been trying to show him slowly that guns won't hurt him.

My wife's dog Dollie the Rough Collie was not a fan of guns, she wasn't afraid of the sight of them but would leave the room if I closed the action. My wife's family doesn't hunt and I never had her around when we were shooting so I'm not sure what caused it as she was that way when I met her at 3 years old and my wife definitely didn't mistreat her.

Our golden Cedar on the other hand, after her training Sunday, now associates loud noises with birds so when my wife took her to the park yesterday the person working on a house nearby with a nail gun sent her hunting for birds.

I also found out that she is no longer interested in retrieving dummies, she just runs over and sniffs it before leaving it or half heartedly picks it up to bring it back without much enthusiasm. A frozen chukar though? Sprints out and delivers it to my hand. Guess I'm gonna have to get different bumpers and tape wings on them to see if that interests her.