Nevada Coyote techniques?

I have hunted over carcasses like cow and horses and deer. Just a rabbit they would haul off at their convieniece. Takes something bigger to keep them around and it helps if your scent isnt around it.

Notice how there is no bare skin visible when I call.
This is important in Tx, colorado, nevada or any where. This is a texas yote the other three were colo.

Attachments

• dc9f6d13-d6a0-4695-badc-ed84bf728ea6.jpg
    dc9f6d13-d6a0-4695-badc-ed84bf728ea6.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 171
What areas are you looking for when you call? Like the surroundings, do you prefer calling in an open burn with trees surrounding you, or do you call in flat shrub land, or in light forested spots like your TX pic?

Last edited:
If you can hunt over open feilds or sage/ scrub in the mornings while they are most active it usually works. The Texas pic was later in the day and I was trying to call them out of the creek bottoms
Same concept for hunting badlands. Pick a spot where you cam call em out to you.

That is a good question and in a group of predator hunters the answer would likely vary. If the spot is conducive to pass shooting and I got there in "prime time" I may sit and glass a while before ever turning on the call. If there is a possibility of bobcats I will call longer, as they are slower to work their way in. If I am night calling I tend to make thirty to forty five minute stands and move on. If you have a lot of ground available you don't have to work a spot so long. Texas is almost all private land and the size of the ranches in the east is getting smaller so I am less apt to quit a spot hastily. When I hunt out west where land is measured in sections or coloraddo and wyoming where large tracts of public land are available I like to cover more ground so make shorter sets.
I have heard it said that if they are coming they will appear in fifteen minutes or less. I think there is a general truth to this but have seen enough exceptions to justify more time.

In NV its mostly all public land.
As of now, I'm only using a mouth call, and I ONLY have a distress rabbit (kinda under-equipped ) When I do call, however, crows come in, which from most of the other forums I read is a good sign to how real the call sounds.

If I had a FoxPro I'd be alot more confident in my calling and I would glass longer, but when I sit for 30mins with no sign whatsoever, the confident fades.

What model do you have? I'm looking at a FoxPro Firestorm atm too

I have the older FX series. Have had it for a couple years.
I too began mouth calling.. and still do. I keep several in the pockets of my huntin jacket cause you never know... batteries die and electronics fail. Sometimes back to basics has real advantages! If you are calling in crows, hawks, owls and such your sound is good enough.
The trick is seeing them before they detect you and being persistent! Don't get discouraged , the first one is the hardest.

Especially if you don't have an expeirienced hand to show you the ropes. I was lucky. I killed my first at 7or 8 yrs old. My dad and uncle have about 60 yrs experience and I remember falling asleep in brush piles on moon lit nights to the sound of a dying rabbit.
My dad bought a very early model Thompson Contender pistol in 223 and affixed a cut off stock + leupold scope for me before most kids got their first BB gun.

Heres a pic of a very early bobcat called in. Sorry bout the quality..its old. No thats not a huge cat... I was very small... Not yet the 6'2" & 190 lbs I am now. Lol
So don't get frustrated I had a 20 yr. Head start and great teachers.
Wish I was closer..always love to take new guys out and show em the ropes!
And I still get skunked occasionaly.. I did in my last predator tournament as a matter of fact.

Attachments

• 2edd2480-b3ce-4c7a-bfa8-75fd413be5f6.jpg
    2edd2480-b3ce-4c7a-bfa8-75fd413be5f6.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 148
Ah, Very nice, A bobcat is on my list of trophies I'd love to have, Aswell as a couger.
Im very young, ( under 18, hope its not a crime of this forum) but i hope you can respect that I'm not as ignorant as other kids.

I began hunting with my father, but I no longer live with him so I have to learn new things myself. Which is somewhat a challenge but I get pride out of my success doing it. At 15, my mom bought me a remmy 700 ( love her to death haha )

I only have ONE distress cottontail call, should I get multiple calls? I was thinking a howler or distress 'yote

Sure get two or three, see what works for you. At 10-15 $ ea. Why not.
The cool thing about predator hunting is the accessability. You can find em every where. Whatever gun you have will work. ( calls, decoys, dedicated rifles, lights and gadgets) are cool and one of my down falls but essentialy unessecary. Just get out there and eventually you'll cross paths with one.

Hey and congrats on having the desire to get out of the house and hunt! Young hunters are awesome

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.