Nevada Coyote techniques?

Mada

I've been trying to get a shot at a coyote for so long now. I live in Nevada and usually hunt around Pioche and Ely. These dogs are always hollering but I just cant find them. Anybody have their special technique that they'd like to share?

Mouth calls or electric?

And what times do you hunt?

Particular seasons?

The few times I've been to Nevada in November, December, and January I never even found the need to get out of the truck except to shoot. One day while driving the back roads outside of Elko we shot at 10 coyotes in 2 hours. We tried calling them in that day too but didn't have any luck. We decided it was better to sit in a warm truck and just hop out to shoot at one when we saw them. hahahah We ALWAYS see more dogs in the first 3 hours of daylight than any other time of the day, but when it's cold out they seem to stay on the move all day and you can catch them at any time.

I know it's not the best advice but it's how we hunted them there. :)

WOOOOOWW

Elko you say?

I MUST try there.

Out where I go, you can hear them but just cant see them... I've tried hunting area 221-223, Mainly 222.
I've seen only 2, once when I was leaving and my rifle was packed in the dragbag when he crossed the road *facepalm* , and the other time he disappeared behind a bush before I could get a shot..

Now I am sad... :(

Half the battle with coyotes is learning how to spot them. They really aren't that big and can hide remarkably well in little cover. When the snow flies they become much easier to see. Go to areas that you have heard them calling from (especially if there are open grassy fields where they can mouse) and just sit there before sunrise and see if you can see any out in the fields as it gets light.

I've killed quite a few coyotes in the last year, but I've only ever had one come in to a call (That's going to change this winter!) :( I've just had tremendous luck driving back roads and shooting at them as you find them. Keep your speed under 40 mph on good roads and at whatever speed you can drive on rougher roads without beating your truck to death and keep your eyes peeled.

We dont see any because our area is mainly sage, but oh boy can you hear them yelping.

Have you tried baiting them?

I've thought of bagging a few jack rabbits and leaving them out there.. perhaps baiting and calling?

like this one by elk mountain nevada yesterday morning
307491_2090155933454_1231913077_31887193_322034884_n.jpg

Ye , just rub it in...

Hopefully I'm going to Pony Springs by Pioche in november :p

More pics would be wonderful !

Find a high spot over a feild wherr you can cover 600 or so yards minimum in at least three directions and use good glass. Approach as if you were big game hunting or even more careful. Keep the rifle at the ready coming and going. A coyote travels one mile every six minutes when they travel.

Attachments

• dc206f18-09c2-4571-b817-b4fbee359230.jpg
    dc206f18-09c2-4571-b817-b4fbee359230.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 220
When I call..and I do alot.. I use a Foxpro, I can set it away from me several hundred yards to help avoid detection. Early morning is best unless itis very cold. Coyotes love to travel draws, ravines and low spots.

My best calls are either food or family.
Rabbit in distress is most common and probably best if they dont get called to much. If they see some pressure or dont respond, switch it up.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.