needing some help

BAYSINGER1122

I recently purchased a weatherby 338-378.... I plan on using it for elk hunting. I need to purchase a scope and ammo.... My father shoots a 30-378 with a sheppard scope and 180 grain bullets and seems to like it. I do not want to sacrifice quality for cost on optics. I want to get a great scope. Also what grain of bullet should I get.... I do not want something that is going to kick like a mule.... I have a stock 26'' barrel.... any Idea what it would cost to make it a 29 or 30 barrel? Thanks

Welcome,
Not trying to be rude(especially on your first post),but...
You have a sporter weight .338-378 and you are worried about recoil due to the weight of the bullet?! Before you purchased the rifle did you ever shoot your dad's .30? If so I'm sure the .338 is gonna be worse.
I don't have any experience with elk (and the way things are going may never!) but from your post it sounds like you don't have much long range experience so I'm guessing your ranges aren't gonna be what most on here would be considered looooong. So in saying that, and due to the size of your new cannon, I would tell you to shoot a premium well constructed bullet of at least 225gr.
As far as the scope goes, I'm the last person that should give advise on what scope to buy. I will however give you some advise on what not to buy. I highly recommend against the purchase of a 3-18 IOR (FFP or SFP) for THAT rifle. My 15+lb Edge doesn't have near the recoil your sporter .338-378 will and I broke three (2 FFP and 1 SFP) on the Edge. They just wouldn't hold up.
If you are considering a Leupold the VH reticle is great in bright light on light or bright colored targets but likes to hide on me against dark(black) targets and in low light. Not much use for your average hunting conditions.
Just my observations...

Thanks Bravo 4. Yes indeed my first post. I have shot my fathers 30-378 several times and really like it. It actually has less recoil than my 30-06. I wanted a 30-378 but then ran across a used 338-378 with a muzzle break in great shape and felt like I got a decent deal. The gun cost me 1,000 dollars. The money I saved from not buying new I wanted to put into my scope. Since I will only be using the gun for elk hunting I want a scope that will pick up alot of light, most likley I will be shooting with low light conditions. The longest shot I most likley will attempt will be 600 yards..... Just got a phone call from my dad that is elk hunting... he got a 340 class 6x6 @ 450 yards one shot kill. We have a leica range finder and It is so nice for judging distance.... I don't know why he got the sheppard scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.