Needed: lite and fast "Running Rifle"

Hi all,
I need some help. I am looking to build a very accurate lite and fast " Running Rifle", not a walking ,hiking, climbing, or sheep rifle but a highly accurate running varmit/target rifle.

I live at the edge of a liberal town with liberal nabors and this requires me to run 1.4 miles (google earth) thruogh hills, trees, and brush to my backyard shooting range, almost 3 miles round trip 2 to 3 times a week. I have a 13 lb Surgeon .308, a 8.5 lb Rem .270 and a 9 lb Ruger 77/22 target, i am getting tired of running these boat anchors. The trees and hills limit my shooting range to 500 yards, so i was thinking of a .223 remington as light possible. I would love 5.5 lb with optic but I will run 6.0 lb if it saves me mad $$$. I can spend 3 gran on the rifle and 1.5 on the optic but hope it's less.

Can you all help me?

Hi all,
I need some help. I am looking to build a very accurate lite and fast " Running Rifle", not a walking ,hiking, climbing, or sheep rifle but a highly accurate running varmit/target rifle.

I live at the edge of a liberal town with liberal nabors and this requires me to run 1.4 miles (google earth) thruogh hills, trees, and brush to my backyard shooting range, almost 3 miles round trip 2 to 3 times a week. I have a 13 lb Surgeon .308, a 8.5 lb Rem .270 and a 9 lb Ruger 77/22 target, i am getting tired of running these boat anchors. The trees and hills limit my shooting range to 500 yards, so i was thinking of a .223 remington as light possible. I would love 5.5 lb with optic but I will run 6.0 lb if it saves me mad $$$. I can spend 3 gran on the rifle and 1.5 on the optic but hope it's less.

Can you all help me?

#3 Fluted Pacnor, Krieger may even flute a #3 in .20 cal
High Tech Stock
Lepuy Scope
the rest is your choice
Should get you around the weight you want.

I would go with a .20cal w/1:9 twist. Shoot the 40's - 55's much better long range small cal. and reduced recoil in a light rifle.

.20tac
.20Pac
.20BR (single shot)
.204R

Jon

I run because I get to my destination faster and it's good exercise.

stormbeckj- Thanks for the info

#3 pac-nor fluted 2 lb 6 oz
high tech stock 1 lb 7 oz
lupuy ultralight scope 2-7x28 8.2 oz

Now all I need is an ultalight action with Rem footprint.

I run because I get to my destination faster and it's good exercise.

stormbeckj- Thanks for the info

#3 pac-nor fluted 2 lb 6 oz
high tech stock 1 lb 7 oz
lupuy ultralight scope 2-7x28 8.2 oz

Now all I need is an ultalight action with Rem footprint.

Find a Remy model 7 and have it skeletonized. McMillian makes a ultralight edge stock that is similar in weight to the HT but TWICE the cost and turn time.

Kevin Weaver builds some nice light weight rigs.

Weaver Rifles Web

Jon

#3 pac-nor fluted-------------------------2 lb 6 oz
high tech stock----------------------------1 lb 7 oz
lupuy ultralight scope 2-7x28----------------8.2 oz
Titanium Actions from X-Treme---------1 lb 4oz

So far I am at 5 lb 9.2 oz

All I need now is bottom metal.

No bottom metal needed. Get the single shot and build a .20 BR. People are smacking PD's past 1000 yards with the Berger 55gr'ers (BC .381) @ 3600-3700 FPS. I know you only have a 500 yard range but this little round is a wind bucking tack driver! and would be a joy to shot in a light weight rig.

Ok...Now I'm drooling, and you got me thinking :D

Leupy 4.5-14x40 LR varmint hunters = 15.oz

Jon

I'd say go with the .220 swift or .204 ruger in one of the light weight configurations suggested above.

Another worthy of a look would be the skeletonized Ruger M-77 I think they called it the MK II or MK IV.

Again go with the above calibers. A factory rifle should meet your needs if you'll just take it to a good smith to have it accurized.

The other I'd suggest is to call Carl at ASI in Colorado. He could put you together a custom Mini 14 or AR in the above calibers as well that would be an absolute nail driver.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.