Need to put a load together for a 7mm 140 grain!

matt_3479

So this year i was invited down to Montana for an antelope hunt. Now i use to shoot 160 grain winchester accubonds out of my factory Remington model 700 BDL and it use to shoot between 1-2" at 100 yards. Not really the accuracy i wanted but it wasn't bad. I went out to the range one day and found some 140 grain bullets just sitting in the back of the cabinet so i brought them instead because the 160's were expensive. DID NOT adjust the scope, just through one in the chamber, took aim and squeezed the trigger. about 1" low of dead center. Put a second and squeezed again, perfectly horizontal to the 1st shot only just off to the right, but still touching the hole of the first shot. 3rd shot was just a little off to the left but was almost through the first hole. 4th shot i decided to aim up about 1" and hit bulls eye. 3 shots under an inch and 4th shot bulls eye.

I decided that i would now be shooting 140 grains instead of 160 grains because it seems to be that my gun prefers the 140s. I picked up some 140 grain Nosler Accubonds and i need to put a load together that would be good for close and far. Now i know this bullet can perform extremely well, all i need is a good flat shooting load. I have some H4350 powder, 140 grain Nosler Accubond heads, Remington 9-1/2 magnum primers, Remington and winchester shells. How much powder should i load? what kind of velocity should i be expecting.

I've been loading for my 7mag for 16yrs.What I've seen is,most of the published loads are well below the max.My rifles seem to shoot their best when loaded near max.Every rifle is different.Try different powders,bullets,seating depths,do the ladder test for your loads,watch for pressure signs and get a chrony if you don't have one,so you know where your at with your loads.Velocities you can expect:
with 140gr bullets-3150-3250fps
with 150gr bullets 3100-3200fps
with 160gr bullets 3000-3100fps
Some may get higher,depends,this will give you an idea about what to expect from your loads.
I usually load the lighter weight bullets,139-140gr in mine for primarily deer.I like:
65.0grs of IMR-4350
69.5grs of either Reloader-22 or Winchester WXR
Here's to good shooting for you.
7mag 3 shots 100yds on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I am at max with R22 using Lee Data and 139gr SST.

This is with CCI 250 primer and Winchester/Remington data.

Seated using the cannelure on edge of case mouth but no crimp.

Groups are 3/4in.

I load 64gr H4831 with np at just under 3000 fps it shoots under 1/2 inch groups at 100yd.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.