Need to find a gunsmith?

bushwackr

Hello all

I need to find a smith that can turn my barrel to a different contour. Its a 1" bull now would like it to a medium/heavy sporter. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

What "state" is barrel? Is it a blank? If so, you're light years ahead $$ just getting another barrel.
If it's already been threaded/chambered/crowned and fitted to the action, answer is the same.

The Urban Rifleman

Brad has made 2 barrels for me and they are excellent.
My $$ sez he's not contouring them- Wilson is providing him pre-contoured blanks.

You'd need a shop with a CNC and programming already set up for contouring for any hope of it being cost-effective. Mind-numbing to do it on a manual machine (did it once, never again), and cost for setup/coding at a CNC shop that doesn't do it regularly will most likely be prohibitive. If not done properly, it can introduce stress into the barrel or even bend it if subjected to real hackery...

it can introduce stress into the barrel or even bend it if subjected to real hackery...
I think this is a valid concern. Going from a bull barrel to a magnum sporter is a lot of material to remove. Just getting a new barrel may be the most cost effective option. If the barrel doesn't shoot after being turned down, your gonna have to replace it anyway.

These guys May have, a Point,. Try Selling your Old 30" Barrel for, $150 -$175 and Buy, a New RemAge, 6 XC Criterion barrel with, a smaller diameter Muzzle and thinner contour ( their 24" Medium "Sporter" w/ .705 muzzle Diameter ) made my Rifle into, a very accurate, 9.5 Pound "walking Varm't"
Hopefully, your setup IS, a "Rem Age" with, a Barrel Nut ???
I remember now that, about, 5 years ago, I had bought, a Heavy, .820 Dia Palma barrel, slightly used from, a guy on Accurate Shooter and asked Jim at, Northland SS, IF he would, Re-Contour, ( Turn) the Barrel down for Me and, he said,.. NO !
He said, It would be, too expensive to tear down and re-setup their already Programmed, C & C machine !
I believe that, a New RemAge Criterion bbl. is not much more than, $300 ish Dollars New. Just, a thought ??
I got $200 ( minus, shipping cost ) out of my Old / used, Criterion 6 xc barrel, so I was very Happy to Pay, the Little,.. "Out of, Pocket" $$$'s !

Last edited:
Ya if I can't get it resized,i will try to sell it ,but not much call for a barrel that size. I will be going to a 22cal of some kind if I order another prefit.

Mark brown from brown precision in Texas does contouring. He's done 3 rigs for my dad and I all 3 were blanks in bull contour turned down to different sporter contours